Jackson County Library Systems
LIBRARIAN II, HEAD OF ADULT SERVICES
FULL-TIME/40 HOURS PER WEEK
$52,508 TO $65,766 PER YEAR
$25.24 TO $ 31.62 PER HOUR
CLOSES JULY 20, 2020 – OPEN UNTIL FILLED
In order to be considered for this position, applicants must submit a JCLS Application, Cover Letter and Resume. The JCLS Application can be found at https://jcls.org/jcld/employment These items must be turned in to the Human Resources Department no later than Monday July 20, 2020 at MIDNIGHT PST.
Materials can be submitted by emailing to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only candidates with complete materials and who meet the minimum qualifications of the position will be considered.
Under the general supervision of the Area Manager, the Librarian II performs professional-level library services and works both independently and with other staff to execute small to large-scale initiatives. This position coordinates all activities of a specialty department, including managing the day-to-day workflow and the collection with a mindset toward relevancy and appropriate deselection. This position works alongside members of the Library Management Team, the Adult and/or Youth Services Coordinator, and other key stakeholders to develop policies, procedures, workflows, and innovative approaches for a variety of library programs and services. Assistance with the circulation desk will be conducted as needed. This position will also directly supervise and assign work to Librarians, Library Specialists, Library Associates, and volunteers.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Provides reference and reader’s advisory assistance in person and virtually
• Provides technology and computer help to patrons, including expert-level assistance with the library’s digital collection platforms.
• Continually researches the various needs of the adult community served and evaluates data to design relevant, easily accessible resources and programs for the service population.
• Supports systemwide goals and initiatives.
• Leads the library’s Adult Services Team toward the organization’s standard of excellence in customer service and information services.
• Supervises day-to-day operations of the Adult Services Department.
• Communicates often and effectively with direct supervisor.
• Understands current library trends and best practices and appropriately integrates these ideas into the library’s Adult Services Department.
• Evaluates basic statistical data and prepares basic statistical reports and surveys for the library and other entities (i.e. local government).
• Provides equitable and excellent customer service to all age levels.
• Competent and comfortable at all branch service points (children's, teen, circulation, and reference)
• Performs outreach activities to local schools, community agencies, and organizations, in conjunction with the Outreach Department.
• Keeps up with library and demographic trends to ensure the library is utilizing best practices.
• Oversees the work of others to achieve the library's operational goals.
• Serves on committees and, at times, may serve as the chairperson for committees.
• Understands the American Library Association’s Library Bill of Rights, Freedom to Read Statement and Freedom to View Statement, recognizing that freedom of access is a fundamental tenet of a public library.
• Follows all legal and policy requirements related to patron privacy and custodianship of patron records.
• Actively supports and respects diversity in the workplace.
• Regular attendance.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Proficiency with principles of early literacy, children, and families.
• Adept at understanding and adapting to new technology; skilled at guiding others in the use of technology.
• Demonstrated success building and maintaining excellent interpersonal relationships and commitment to achieving shared goals.
• A commitment to a high level of customer services and patron satisfaction.
• Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
• Knowledge of and previous use of library databases and services, including ability to evaluate a wide variety of library databases.
• Proficiency in MS Office suite including Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
• Ability to work in a self-directed environment with minimal guidance.
• Excellent organizational, time management, and problem-solving skills.
• Able to work a flexible schedule including weekdays, evenings and weekends.
• Master’s degree in Library and Information Science from an ALA accredited institution, OR equivalent combination of education and experience that provides the knowledge, skills, and abilities required to perform the duties as described.
• 3 years’ experience as a librarian.
• Advanced overall skill level consisting of experience and success overseeing direct public service.
• Proven ability to communicate effectively with a number of different audiences using a variety of methods.
• Supervisory experience.
• Criminal background check required.
• Must have valid driver’s license and required mandatory insurance when operating a privately owned vehicle for business purposes.
• Must be able to travel to other locations to perform work, and/or attend work-related meetings, workshops, or conferences.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is continuously required to communicate by talking and listening, use of fingers and hands, repetitive motion and sitting. Frequently required to stand, walk, reach, sit, and feel. Occasionally bend, stoop, grasp, and rarely to feel, kneel or crawl. The position requires mobility, including the ability to move materials weighing up to 5 pounds on a regular basis such as files, books, office equipment, etc.; may infrequently require moving materials weighing up to 20 pounds.
Manual dexterity and coordination are required over [75%] of the work period while operating equipment such as computer keyboard and standard office equipment.
Travel to other district locations and/or to workshops/professional meetings/conferences.
This level has a work environment that is well protected, with virtually no hazards or obstacles. There is very little element of personal risk or hazard. Job conditions are stable, usually well managed, and very comfortable. Conditions may consist of the following:
• Reading for comprehension and direction (policies & procedures)
• Speaking to share, respond and maintain relationships or to convey instructions and/or direction
• Presenting to a wide range of ages and audiences to inspire lifelong learning
• Considerable cognitive process to make effective decisions for non-routine work
• Various equipment includes computers with a keyboard and mouse, telephone, and other electronic devices to share documents, information, and discussion
• Deadlines and changing priorities with multiple demands on time
• Attendance at evening and weekend meetings and/or social/business events
• Available for emergencies and off-schedule contacts
This position is placed at range O on the JCLS salary schedule, and has a starting salary range of $52,508 to $58,368 per year and $25.24 to $28.06 per hour. The full salary range is $52,508 to $65,766 per year and $25.24 to $31.62 per hour. Placement on the salary schedule is based upon education and experience.
JCLS offers a competitive benefits package including 401(a), medical, dental and vision coverage to employees and qualified dependents. In addition, JCLS provides vacation, sick leave and paid holidays.
After the preliminary screening, selected candidates will be invited for an initial interview. Videoconference interviews (in lieu of an in-person initial interview) will be offered. Candidates to be interviewed will be selected from applicants who most closely meet the minimum and desired qualifications. Meeting the minimum qualifications does not guarantee an interview.
JCLS reserves the right to re-advertise the position or to delay indefinitely filling of the position if it is deemed that applicants for the position do not constitute an adequate applicant pool or if funding is not available.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Employees must satisfy all of the pre-employment requirements prior to appointment that include, but are not limited to; verification of their legal right to work in the United States, and a background check.
Applicants requiring reasonable accommodations in completing the application or the interview process must notify the Human Resources Department in advance.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
JCLS provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment, and prohibits discrimination and harassment, of any type, without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, marital status, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
The organization employs affirmative personnel measures to ensure the achievement of equal employment opportunities in all aspects of employment, and the work environment. These policies of nondiscrimination will prevail throughout every aspect of the employment relationship, including recruitment, selection, compensation, promotion, transfer, layoff, termination, training, and conflict resolution.
External Job Ad