The Assistant Library Director assists the Library Director in the administration and operation of the library. They also act as the Patron Services Supervisor who supervises, schedules, interviews, and trains patron service staff, including Library Technicians, Library Assistants and Library Pages. Works with patron service staff to provide patrons with customer service, reference help, reader’s advisory, computer and technical assistance and general circulation needs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist the Library Director in the administration and operation of the Library Department
- Make policy and procedure recommendations to the Library Director.
- Supervises, instructs, schedules, reviews, and evaluates work activities for assigned staff; makes hiring and dismissal recommendations.
- Perform supervisory and personnel duties, including interviewing, hiring, preparing and administering performance evaluations, scheduling, and training circulation staff.
- Handles higher level patron complaints or concerns
- Handles personnel issues within the patron services staff and other staff issues in the Director’s absence.
- Administer and coordinate maintenance of the library facility in the director’s absence.
- Provides training and monitors staff on the proper procedures and interpretation of Library policies aimed at maintaining good customer services.
- Maintain the atmosphere that is conducive to learning and addresses issues that interfere with patron usage.
- As needed handle the planning, implementation and evaluation of library programming and other library services for children, teens and adults.
- Serves as liaison to the Library Advisory Board in absence of Library Director.
- Represent the library at professional meetings, conferences, and seminars, and actively participate in professional committees
- Assist patrons in finding and using library resources, including reference materials, audiovisual equipment, computers, public access catalog, reference databases, and electronic resources.
- Responsible for second level technology support for patrons including both hardware and software.
- Work evening and weekend hours of operation as needed.
- Uphold the patron’s rights embodied in the First Amendment of the constitution of the United States, the Colorado confidentiality Law and the Bill of Rights
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Be the person in charge in the Director’s absence.
- Supervise all staff in the Director’s absence.
- Act as liaison to Re8 and city in the director’s absence.
- Assist with special library projects and outreach to the community.
- Assist other staff, volunteers and/or pages.
Qualifications and Requirements
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to manage the operations of the circulation desks and personnel
- Knowledge of principles and techniques of employee supervision and training
- Possess exceptional leadership skills to oversee and coordinate team members to effectively complete tasks
- Ability to lead by example and be diplomatic in correcting staff
- Skilled in team building and conflict resolution
- Skill in working with the public, both in person and by telephone
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Skill in use of computer software including Microsoft Office
- Troubleshooting basic Library technology.
- Ability to work independently
- 4 year degree
- MLIS preferred
- 2 years of supervisory experience required preferably in a library.
- 5 years of experience as a library tech or library assistant with extensive circulation experience.
- Complex library user tech support is preferred
- Bilingual in English and Spanish is preferred