Pikes Peak Library District
20 N Cascade Ave, Colorado Springs
POSITION SUMMARY: Operates in a diverse environment to help fulfill the Library’s mission by providing comprehensive, customer-focused public services, coordinating programs, or participating in targeted activities related to Creative Services, which encompasses the makerspaces, studios, and programming and services related to those spaces district-wide. The vision for Creative Services is to empower people to learn new skills, develop community, and share their passions. To help accomplish this vision, the position requires flexibility, collaboration, communication, creativity, critical thinking, and the ability to identify priorities and shift focus quickly.
Functions listed are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- Acts as a special resource provider for Creative Services, including makerspace and studio equipment and activities, as well as technology programming and support.
- Compiles and analyzes data and research to assist with decision-making; makes recommendations for new initiatives or solutions to challenges. Anticipates challenges due to seasonal workflow, emerging technology and evolving community dynamics; helps set priorities for adapting to systemic change.
- Provides leadership for specialized projects, services, programs and activities related to Creative Services strategic goals and objectives; serves on project teams or committees.
- Plans and coordinates, occasionally conducts, programs district-wide related to strategic goals. Engages outside instructors, performers, and volunteers to provide programming across the District.
- Communicates details of programs and services to and seeks input from library staff regarding planning, implementation, and evaluation of programs and services. Evaluates program suggestions from staff and patrons.
- Serves as a liaison to assigned community groups and provides outreach to communicate information about library services and programs.
- Plans, coordinates, and implements assigned projects related to organizational goals and objectives.
- According to individual assignment, may manage a specific project, program, or event, specifically including the Maker in Residence and Repair Café programs, or maintain responsibility for specific websites.
- Keeps informed about Library information.
- Organizes and maintains specialized files and databases.
- Provides work direction for assigned projects; provides guidance and training to other staff.
- Promotes library services through tours, demonstrations, talks, and displays; may teach classes on technology, or other Creative Services-specific topics to customers.
- Provides specialized public services for customers as they visit the library, call on the telephone, or communicate in a virtual environment.
- Provides excellent customer service and maintains a courteous, positive image of the Library; maintains confidentiality in all customer and staff interactions; models exemplary customer service behaviors for library staff.
- Provides specialized assistance and information about library services and procedures; assists customers with an advanced level of assistance in technology support and community resources.
ADDITIONAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Duties are considered non-essential and include the following:
- May act as person-in-charge as assigned; assumes responsibility for safe and effective operation of the library; ensures that security and safety reports are completed accurately and submitted as required.
- Attends regular department meetings and scheduled All-staff meetings.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
The employee is expected to perform or possess the following:
- Thorough knowledge of the Pikes Peak Library District’s policies and procedures and ability to follow them.
- Ability to act as an ambassador of Pikes Peak Library District by promoting its mission and vision to the public.
- Demonstrates thorough knowledge of library trends, processes and best practices.
- Demonstrates flexibility to actively support change in order to meet strategic goals and objectives.
- Demonstrates excellent verbal and written communication skills; maintains effective relationships with customers, coworkers, and with staff at all levels.
- Demonstrates commitment to principles of intellectual freedom and all aspects of customer diversity.
- Ability to work independently and effectively organize daily work under general supervision.
- Ability to effectively train others.
- Ability to work as part of a team, demonstrating an excellent customer service attitude.
- Demonstrates ability to effectively use applications software, including Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, and Outlook, ILS system, along with standard office equipment.
- Demonstrates ability to exhibit sound judgment and demeanor in public interactions; thinks and acts appropriately under pressure.
- Demonstrates ability to work effectively as a team member, organize daily work and meet deadlines in a fast-paced, detail-rich environment.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
1. Requires an MLS or MLIS degree.
2. Requires a minimum of two years of library experience.
3. For some positions, experience in working with specialized equipment or knowledge of child development and early literacy is preferred.
4. Bilingual ability is a plus in serving a diverse community.
5. Requires a cover letter that addresses why you are interested in and would be the best fit for this position.
Physical and Environmental Conditions:
Work is primarily conducted in an office setting that provides comfortable lighting, temperature and air conditions. Position requires the ability to sit and use a computer or standard office equipment for extended periods. Position requires the ability to stand for extended periods of time. Position requires the ability to occasionally reach, bend, climb, twist and squat. Position requires the ability to lift up to 35 pounds. Position requires the ability to push a loaded book truck.
Work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts that require normal safety precautions typical of such places as offices or meeting rooms, e.g. use of safe work place practices with office equipment, and/or avoidance of trips and falls and observance of fire regulations.
Position # 222020801
DATE: October 15, 2020
LOCATION: Pikes Peak Library District, Colorado Springs, CO
STARTING SALARY: $24.05 + full benefits (For details about benefits, see: http://ppld.org/jobs/benefits)
POSITION HOURS: 40 hours per week:
Flexible scheduling based on programming and library requirements.
Monday-Friday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
May have occasional shifts at other PPLD Libraries
Evenings and weekends will be required for programs and other library requirements.
Note: Regular schedule will be subject to changes due to programs, required meetings, training events, etc. Also, management may require modifications to a position’s schedule, days, times and locations at any time as the needs of the Library District change.
PROCEDURE FOR APPLICATION:
1. Complete a PPLD online application located at ppld.org/Jobs on the Application tab
2. Attachments should be submitted in the following file types: .doc, .xls, .xlsx, .pdf, .htm
3. A Cover Letter addressing why you would be a good fit for this position is required.
4. If you require an accommodation to complete your job application, please contact the Human Resources Office at (719) 531-6333 Ext. 6380
CLOSING DATE: This position will remain open until filled; preference given to applications received by Thursday November 19, 2020 by 9:59 p.m. MST
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
All selected candidates…
- are required to complete a Department of Homeland Security I-9 Form at the time of hire and must be able to provide acceptable documentation in order to verify his/her legal right to be employed in the U.S. (pursuant to the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986) Pikes Peak Library District participates in E-Verify.
- are subject to a full reference and background investigation including verification of identification (including verification of Social Security number using USCIS E-verify), education, former employment, and criminal history.
- may be uniformly tested for job-related skills and required physical abilities
- may be required to undergo a physical examination after a job offer is extended in order to ensure that the job’s physical requirements are met
- must understand and comply with PPLD’s drug-free workplace policy
- understand and agree that they have been hired at the will of the employer and that employment may be terminated at any time, with or without reason, and with or without notice, in accordance with Colorado law
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Pikes Peak Library District does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, pregnancy, sexual orientation including gender expression, genetic information, military status, or any other status protected by law or regulation. It is our intention that all qualified applicants are given equal opportunity and that selection decisions be based on job-related factors. The library reserves the right to hire more than one person per advertised vacancy.
Additional Info & Requirements
Pikes Peak Library District has a fantastic opportunity for an experienced librarian!
Imagine working at the foot of Pikes Peak in a fantastic library district with collaborative colleagues. Consider helping to shape the district, thinking about the big picture as a part of the Creative Services team.
Creative Services? Yes, we deal in all things makerspace and studio, as well as the services and programs that go hand in hand with them. Our vision is to empower people to learn new skills, develop community, and share their passions. Is it starting to come together in your mind?
So, what does that mean we’re looking for? We want a mountain climber (not literally, though did we mention Pikes Peak?) ready to scale the heights of possibility, a visionary who can see the path through the challenges, an innovator who knows that change brings opportunity, a technology lover with an inquisitive nature, a teammate who knows collaboration and communication are key to success, a creative at heart with a give-it-a-shot mentality, a program axe-person (when needed – not all programs work out).
If these phrases speak to you, please take a look at PPLD’s Senior Librarian position in Creative Services, as well as all other job openings, at ppld.org/jobs.
External Job Ad
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org