Pikes Peak Library District
20 N Cascade Ave, Colorado Springs
Position Summary: Operates in a diverse environment to help fulfill the Library’s mission by providing direct customer-focused public service, implementing programs, or participating in targeted activities for a designated age group or service area.
Functions listed are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- Provides excellent customer service and maintains a courteous, positive image of the Library; maintains confidentiality in all customer and staff interactions.
- Provides direct public services to customers as they visit the library, call on the telephone, or communicate in a virtual environment. Works combined circulation/service desks by performing all circulation functions.
- Performs reference, purchase or Interlibrary Loan requests, and readers’ advisory services.
- Proficient in the use of library meeting room software for reservations and event creation.
- Assist customers with advanced computer needs, job applications and resume formatting.
- Teaches classes on computer basics or other technology access topics to customers in small groups or one-on-one settings.
- Implements pre-designed programs.
- Promotes library services through tours, demonstrations, talks, and displays.
- Performs other support activities such as troubleshooting basic computer, office, and makerspace equipment, badge making, compiling data, and monitoring/ordering office supplies, and petty cash accountability.
- May act as person-in-charge as assigned; assumes responsibility for safe and effective operation of the library; ensures that security and safety reports are completed accurately and are submitted as required.
- May act as a special resource provider in specific service areas, including targeted age groups, mobile library services, technology programming and support, makerspaces/creative commons equipment and activities, regional history, or collection management.
- Performs other support activities such as troubleshooting basic computer and office equipment, compiling data, and monitoring/ordering office supplies.
- If assigned to Mobile Library Services (West Region only): Safely drive, navigate and park Mobile Library; performs all functions in a manner safe to oneself, co-workers, and library patrons; adheres to Department of Transportation regulations and the immediate reporting and initiating of appropriate maintenance related to road conditions, security and safety.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
Duties are considered non-essential and include the following:
- Provides support for specialized projects, services, programs and activities related to Services strategic goals and objectives.
- Keeps informed about Library and department information.
- Attends regular department meetings and scheduled All-staff meetings.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The employee is expected to perform or possess the following:
- Knowledge of the Pikes Peak Library District’s policies and procedures and ability to follow them.
- Ability to act as an ambassador of Pikes Peak Library District by promoting its mission and vision to the public.
- Demonstrates knowledge of current library services and trends.
- Ability to effectively organize daily work under general supervision.
- Ability to work as part of a team, demonstrating an excellent customer service attitude.
- Knowledge of basic computer technology and applications and ability to effectively train others.
- Demonstrates flexibility to actively support change in order to meet strategic goals and objectives.
- Demonstrates excellent verbal and written communication skills; maintains effective relationships with customers, coworkers, and with staff at all levels.
- Demonstrates ability to effectively use applications software, including Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, and Outlook, along with standard office equipment and specialized library software and equipment contained in makerspaces.
- Demonstrates ability to exhibit sound judgment and demeanor in public interactions; thinks and acts appropriately under pressure.
- Demonstrates ability to work effectively as a team member, organize daily work and meet deadlines in a fast-paced, detail-rich environment.
Education and Experience:
1. Requires minimum high school diploma or G.E.D.; Bachelor’s degree preferred.
2. Requires a minimum of one year of library experience or other public service experience; library experience preferred.
3. Requires basic experience with computer equipment and software applications.
4. Bilingual ability is a plus in serving a diverse community.
If Assigned to Mobile Library Services (West Region):
1. Requires a valid Colorado driver's license at the time of application; completion of a driver’s training course; a clean driving record; completion of a driver’s application; passing a road test administered in-house; physical examination and certification in accordance with DOT regulations. Recertification will be required on an on-going basis. Employees are required to submit to a drug test in the event of an accident (any accident not just motor vehicle).
2. If assigned to Mobile Library Services, must pass the background check conducted by Schriever AFB, in order to be issued a DBIDs (Defense Biometric Identification Data System) card for access to the base.
Physical and Environmental Conditions:
Work is primarily conducted in an office setting that provides comfortable lighting, temperature and air conditions. Position requires the ability to sit and use a computer or standard office equipment for extended periods. Position requires the ability to stand for extended periods of time. Position requires the ability to occasionally reach, bend, climb, twist and squat. Position requires the ability to lift up to 35 pounds. Ability to push a loaded book truck required.
Work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts that require normal safety precautions typical of such places as offices or meeting rooms, e.g. use of safe work place practices with office equipment, and/or avoidance of trips and falls and observance of fire regulations.
LIBRARY ASSOCIATE : (20 hours per week, non-exempt)
Position # 170131204 & 170131205
DATE POSTED: January 21, 2021
LOCATION: 20 N. Cascade Ave., Colorado Springs, CO 80903
STARTING WAGE: $17.85 per hour + partial benefits (for benefits information, please see: http://ppld.org/jobs/benefits)
POSITION HOURS: 20 hours per week with the following schedule:
|Position #170131204||Position #170131205|
|Monday - Thursday : 9 a.m. - 1 p.m.||Monday - Thursday : 3 p.m. - 7 p.m.|
|Alternating Friday and Saturday : 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.||Alternating Friday and Saturday : 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.|
Note: Regular schedule may be subject to minor changes due to required meetings, training events, etc. Also, management may require modifications to a position’s schedule, days, times and locations at any time as the needs of the Library District change.
1. Complete a PPLD online application located at ppld.org/Jobs at the Application Tab
2. Attachments should be submitted online in the following file types: .doc, .docx, .xls, .xlsx, .pdf, .htm
3. Requires resume and cover letter. Applications will not be considered without a resume and cover letter.
4. If you require an accommodation to complete your job application, please contact the Human Resources Office at (719) 531 - 6333, ext. 6380 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
CLOSING DATE: Preference for application materials received by February 01, 2021 at 9:59 p.m. MST
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
All selected candidates…
- are required to complete a Department of Homeland Security I-9 Form at the time of hire and must be able to provide acceptable documentation in order to verify his/her legal right to be employed in the U.S. (pursuant to the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986). Pikes Peak Library District participates in E-Verify.
- are subject to a full reference and background investigation including verification of identification (including verification of Social Security number using USCIS E-Verify), education, former employment, and criminal history.
- may be uniformly tested for job-related skills and required physical abilities.
- may be required to undergo a physical examination after a job offer is extended in order to ensure that the job’s physical requirements are met.
- must understand and comply with PPLD’s drug-free workplace policy.
- understand and agree that they have been hired at the will of the employer and that employment may be terminated at any time, with or without reason, and with or without notice.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Pikes Peak Library District does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, pregnancy, sexual orientation including gender expression, military status, or any other status protected by law or regulation. It is our intention that all qualified applicants are given equal opportunity and that selection decisions be based on job-related factors. The library reserves the right to hire more than one person per advertised vacancy.
External Job Ad
Soumya Gollapalli : email@example.com