Do you dream of working in an environment where you’re encouraged to share ideas and exchange perspectives? Are you an enthusiastic person with a passion for learning new skills, within a safe support structure? Is “Why?” your very favorite question? Do you love interacting with friends and neighbors while on the job? Do your friends complain that you’re TOO organized? Do you crave a job that has a good mix of working independently and collaborating with a team?
We’re willing to train the RIGHT person for this job, even if you don’t possess all the skills listed below.
Scope of the Position:
The Technical Services Guru selects, processes, and maintains materials for the district’s collections. Collection tasks include selection of assigned materials and genres; ordering materials; receiving and processing, cataloging in accordance with professional standards; and assisting with routine culling and inventory. The Technical Services Guru is also the main website administrator. Performs a variety of supervised and unsupervised general, basic, routine, and moderately complex tasks, using personal, administrative, and technical skills and knowledge.
Performs all duties of Patron Services Clerk (front desk customer service) as needed; interprets library policies and procedures; enforces appropriate patron conduct as necessary.
The Technical Services Guru is supervised by the Library Director. Works as a team member. There are no supervisory duties for this position.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
● Researches and selects all materials for the collections of both branch libraries.
● Tracks spending and invoicing to adhere to annual budget.
● Orders and receives all materials for both branch libraries.
● Creates original cataloging and updates copy catalog records for all materials.
● Responsible for labeling and covering all acquisitions.
● Standardizes the cataloging procedures, including labeling, for the district as a whole.
● Orders, receives, and maintains cataloging supplies.
● Withdraws/deletes items from the libraries’ inventory and processes items for disposal or removal.
● Contributes to review of cataloging, shelving, and circulation processes and policies with the Director.
● Decides if gift materials meet library standards for inclusion in the collection.
● Maintains the library district website, and works with others to assure information presented is fresh and up-to-date.
● Assists with the collection maintenance, including weeding, refreshing shelf displays as needed, and performing inventory.
Education, Experience, Skills and Abilities:
Education: (Required) College degree or high school diploma/GED with demonstrated experience.
Experience: (Required) Excellent technology skills; superb attention to detail and accuracy; organizational skills; disciplined time management skills; good judgment based on logical reasoning; ability to work independently and be self-directed. (Desired) Previous work experience in a library.
Skills and Abilities: (Required) Excellent communication, listening, and problem-solving skills; use of independent judgment within procedural boundaries; attention to detail; following tasks through to completion despite frequent interruption; participating in group situations and environment; able to function under flexible and changing conditions.
The position requires the physical ability to lift and unpack heavy boxes and shelve/retrieve items from top and bottom shelves.
Must provide own transportation in the conduct of duties. Valid license and appropriate insurance is required.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may be required to perform other duties as established to meet the ongoing needs of the library district.
***The technical services job as written is for 25 hours/week. Do you have other skills we could utilize in library land? Let’s talk! Additional hours are a consideration based on your passions.***
To apply, please send a non-traditional, creative letter of interest to email@example.com. In it, tell us why libraries matter in a digital age. Attach a copy of your resume and your full contact information.
Year-round sunny days. Clear starry nights. The world’s largest alpine valley spectacularly framed by the San Juan and Sangre de Cristo mountain ranges. Easy access to all those mountains have to offer- camping, hiking, skiing, snowshoeing, rafting, kayaking, fishing, and hot springs. Close-knit communities with burgeoning arts and cultural scenes. Multiple new-age spiritual centers sharing a valley with a centuries-old ranching heritage. Yep, Saguache County, Colorado is a different kinda place. Is it YOUR kinda place?