The Rampart Library District is currently searching for a qualified individual to fill the role of Library Branch Manager at the Florissant Public Library (CO). Florissant Public Library is a 6,700 sq. ft. facility in a rural unincorporated mountain community that is 20 minutes from Woodland Park and 45 minutes from Colorado Springs. The Library Supervisor is responsible for overseeing the daily operations of the Florissant Public Library including staff and facility. Supervises library staff including: training, scheduling, record keeping, materials handling. Works closely with the Circulation Manager. Interprets and implements library district policy to staff and patrons. Responsible for creating and providing adult programming and working with the Youth Services Manager to provide children’s programs. This position is responsible for online newsletter, library website and creating printed promotional materials. They are the liaison for the Friends of Florissant Library and represent the library in local community organizations.
The Library Supervisor works under the direction of, and reports to, the Library Director.
Additional Info & Requirements
The Branch Library is the gathering place and central location for the community it serves. It offers a District-wide floating collection, e-resources and databases available 24/7, public computers, relevant and meaningful programs for adults and children, meeting room space, and a friendly welcoming staff. The Branch Library is much more than the traditional library in the eyes of the community. It is where the community collaborates, creates, gathers, and learns.
The Branch Manager is the face of the branch and represents the library and the entire District in an enthusiastic, positive manner to both the staff and the community. The manager works as library assistant in the daily operation of the library while having the overall responsibility for the library functions, staff, and the building. The Branch Manager is part of the District’s Admin. Team and works with other District managers and the Director in relevant areas such as building maintenance, circulation, human resources, operations, programming, and technology.
Essential Qualifications and Special Skills
Education: Bachelor’s degree, MLIS degree preferred
Experience: Two to five years of public library experience required with at least two years recent supervisory and management experience.
Computer Knowledge: Requires competency in the ability to assist patrons and staff with the use of e-readers and downloading e-books, to assist patrons with navigating the internet, familiarity with ILS systems and the ability to learn a new ILS system, knowledge of data entry, Google Docs, electronic databases, Microsoft Office Suite, WordPress, familiarity with Zoom, and troubleshooting skills for computer software and equipment.
Notary: Must be willing to obtain a Notary Certificate for Colorado within six months.
Physical: Requires the physical stamina to perform the duties of a library assistant as well as manage the branch.
Personal: Must be engaging, innovative, self-motivated, and a team player.
Hours and Compensation
This is an exempt position. The job is generally 32 hours per week. Salary is based on experience.
Duties and Responsibilities
· Fosters positive public relations and acts as a liaison for the District with the community.
· Serves as the District liaison for the Friends of the Florissant Library group and actively supports the group.
· Ensures District policies and procedures are followed and explained to patrons and staff as necessary.
· Attends and participates in scheduled staff meetings.
· Creates and manages monthly Strategic Plan goals.
· Retains accurate financial records to include cash register receipts and petty cash.
· Reconciles monthly cash register receipts and transports monthly deposit to Administrative Assistant.
· Creates daily workflow and supervises library staff.
· Coordinates with Circulation Manager to prepare staff schedule and reviews staff time sheets.
· Manages meeting room schedule using Google Calendar.
· Maintains monthly statistics for door count, program attendance, and meeting room use.
· Maintains a safe, healthy, and attractive library environment.
· Reports any building and technology issues in a timely manner to IT/Facilities Manager.
· Oversees the snow removal in the winter, to include making sure the Snow Removal Contract is updated and signed each year and making library staff aware of snow removal policy.
· Performs all necessary circulation duties.
· Assists patrons in person, over the phone and through e-mail.
· Resolves patron complaints with patron accounts, library policies, and library staff.
· Assists patrons with reader advisory questions and provides reference services to include Book-A-Librarian.
· Collaborates with Circulation Manager regarding staff issues and Circulation Department changes and procedures.
· Provides Notary Public services to the community.
· Troubleshoots technology issues and instructs patrons and library staff in technology use as needed.
· Assists patrons with downloading e-content.
· Performs collection development by exchanging library materials with the Woodland Park Public Library, ordering new materials, weeding, repairing minor damage, and collaborating with the Adult Services Librarian and Youth Services Manager as needed.
· Schedules, creates agenda, and participates in quarterly Collection Development Committee meetings.
· Performs copy and original cataloging of new items in the Sierra ILS system.
· Creates and prints spine labels.
· Modifies item records for accuracy and deletes item records when necessary.
· Uses OCLC WorldCat services to find and import item bibliographic records.
· Processes new items by applying barcodes, stamping with Rampart Library District, attaching spine labels and appropriate genre stickers, and writing barcode on DVDs.
· Plans, creates, schedule and leads adult programming, when necessary.
· Collaborates with Adult Services Librarian and Youth Services Manager to create programming for Summer Reading.
· Covers after-hours programs and voting.
· Facilitates the Bookworms book club.
· Develops relevant displays, bulletin boards, etc. to provide information and promote the collection.
· Designs monthly program flyers and banners using Publisher and distributes flyers to library staff.
· Creates and manages monthly e-newsletter using Mailchimp. Sends e-newsletter to subscriber list.
· Updates website with new monthly flyers and banners.
· Writes a monthly article for the Ute Country News to promote participation in library programs.
· Participates in community events to promote the library.
· Remains proficient in technology use including knowledge of databases, internet resources, and library technology used for circulation duties and the catalog.
· Reads widely and is familiar with local community issues, state and national current trends, and demographic, economic, and political concerns which may affect the services provided by the library and the District.
· Attends relevant conferences and webinars.
Other duties as needed.
Florissant is a small, rural mountain community in the Pikes Peak region, 45 minutes west of Colorado Springs.
Human Resources / Job Listings
Michelle Harris- Library Director
719-687-9281 ext 101