Primary Responsibility: This professional position provides comprehensive library services for all patrons, with special emphasis on adult services and programs, and is involved in a wide range of library activities and operations.
Supervised by: Library Director
FLSA status: Non-Exempt
Librarian salary = $43,297 per year
Library Specialist salary = $39,361 per year
Main Job Duties:
- Develop and implement innovative age-appropriate programming and outreach for adults
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of the collection, current literature, and content delivery formats
- Assist patrons of all ages with reference questions or readers' advisory requests
- Process all incoming and outgoing requests for interlibrary loans
- Perform circulation duties, which includes answering the phone, registering patrons, collecting fees, and checking items in and out
- Assist patrons with utilizing public access computers effectively including printing and accessing office applications
- Assist patrons with the operation of standard office equipment including faxing, scanning, copying, and accessing public Wi-Fi
- Explain GCPL policies and procedures to patrons
- Assist with the development and maintenance of the adult collection, including recommending materials for acquisition or withdrawal from circulation
- Assist with processing new materials for addition to the collection
- Participate in updating the website and social media platforms for the Library
- Attend workshops, webinars, and other learning opportunities
Other Job Duties:
- Performs other appropriate duties as assigned by the Library Director
- Available for varied workdays and hours within the GCPL operating schedule including some nights and weekends
Education Requirement for Librarian: Master of Library Science degree (ALA accredited program); may consider candidates who will obtain the MLS within 6 months of hire.
Education Requirement for Library Specialist: Bachelor's degree from a recognized college or university.
- Working knowledge of:
- public library practices and procedures.
- research techniques and available research materials, as well as general readers' interest, authors, books, and other formats of library materials.
- standard computer applications and devices including tablets/mobile devices, software applications, and downloadable e-format materials.
- social media tools and techniques, with the ability to effectively communicate in an online environment to engage customers via social media.
- Must possess strong and effective spoken and written (English) communication skills, as well as accurate math and clerical skills.
- Ability to demonstrate creativity, flexibility, positive attitude, good judgment, and leadership
- Ability to effectively access and utilize GCPL’s computerized systems and the Internet, and to effectively provide related instruction for patrons
- Ability to effectively organize work, determine priorities, make decisions, and complete assigned duties with minimal supervision
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with patrons, co-workers, and the general public
- Work is performed in a typical office setting.
- Physical requirements include the ability to lift and carry GCPL materials weighing up to approximately 40 pounds, to push book carts, and to stand, walk, bend and stoop for up to 8 hours a day.
- Minimum 1 year of customer service work experience in retail, education, community or public relations, or any high traffic customer service setting.
If the candidate hired into this position has not yet obtained their MLS degree, they will be hired into a Library Specialist position (salary=$39,361 yearly) and will be upgraded to the Librarian position upon successful completion of the MLS degree within 6 months of hire
Gilpin County is a rural community in Colorado's high country, neighboring the Continental Divide, yet less than an hour west of downtown Denver. Residents enjoy a quality of life enhanced by the vast recreational opportunities offered by Golden Gate State Park, the Arapaho and Roosevelt National Forests, the limited-stakes gaming in Black Hawk and Central City, a state-of-the-art recreation center and fairgrounds, low taxes, and financially secure local government.