The Director of the Basalt Regional Library District is a highly skilled professional who wears many hats, balancing the needs of the community while encouraging the talents of an enthusiastic staff. Basalt Regional Library is more than a library to the patrons of the valley, it is a hub for many of its users and, as Director, you will be an integral part of the community. The Director is ultimately responsible for creating a positive environment where employees want to work and patrons want to spend their time.
The Executive Director we’re seeking:
- Embraces technology of today and is eager to explore technology of tomorrow.
- Leads the effort to improve equity and opportunity within our multi-lingual, diverse community.
- Maintains the Library’s appearance and equipment, and makes creative use of the Library’s spaces.
- Possesses experience in budgetary preparation and management, and is a competent steward of taxpayer funds.
- Expands community outreach into new areas and in innovative ways.
- Envisions both a short- and a long-range outlook for the Library’s future.
- Represents and advocates for the Library in community meetings, programs and events.
- Mentors, motivates and skillfully hires staff to reach their potential.
- Must be willing to hang your hat here for a long time.
Is this the job for you?
Additional Info & Requirements
Salary Range: The salary range for the Executive Director position is $90,000 - $105,000 per year, based on experience. Comprehensive benefits include health, vision, dental and life insurance, and retirement savings contributions. Paid time off includes vacation, sick and holiday time.
Qualifications: Applicants should have an MLS Degree from an ALA-accredited program and have a minimum of five years supervisory/director’s experience. Previous experience with regional libraries, mill levy funding, and budgeting for all aspects of a stand-alone library are desirable qualifications. This is a salaried, exempt position, and the Executive Director is expected to work the necessary hours per week to fulfill the responsibilities detailed in the full job description. This typically includes working on-site 40 hours or more, each week. Some evening and weekend hours may be required.
Basalt sits at the confluence of two Gold Medal rivers and is located in the Colorado Rocky Mountains, equidistant between Aspen and Glenwood Springs. Basalt residents have access to excellent schools, a lively arts community, and a diversity of outdoor activities. Basalt boasts a wonderful small-town atmosphere with a warm, inviting, and supportive community.
The Basalt Library is an architecturally beautiful building on the banks of the Roaring Fork River. Patrons regularly mention how much they love the Library – its community feel, its staff, programs, collections, and beautiful indoor & outdoor facilities. While Basalt’s population is fewer than 4000, Basalt Library’s patrons are drawn from up and down the Roaring Fork Valley, holding over 10,000 library cards. The Library progressively takes actions to improve diversity and equity within our multi-cultural community. Our Library has become a landmark destination in the Roaring Fork Valley and is one of the reasons people choose to live in Basalt.
External Job Ad
To apply for the position of Basalt Regional Library Executive Director, please send your letter of interest –- with an answer to the question: “What unique role does a library play in today’s community?” -- and resume to Barbara Milnor at firstname.lastname@example.org . References will be requested at a later date. The deadline for submitting your application is Monday, June 14, 2021.