About Our Job
The Denver Library is seeking a senior librarian to join our Collection Services department, working downtown at our Central Library. This position will create positive experiences for library customers by overseeing all aspects of cataloging, bibliographic and authority control, including cataloging in all formats using OCLC and the Polaris Library System.
- Review, develop and implement cataloging policies and procedures.
- Coordinate both regular workflow and special cataloging projects in coordination with the ILS team, public service departments and others.
- Serve as the expert/lead on cataloging practices and policies within the Cataloging Department and throughout Denver Public Library.
- Prioritize the end user by balancing high quality cataloging with quick turnaround of materials
- Serve as a key resource in understanding and troubleshooting issues that impact all modules of the ILS.
- Facilitate communication regarding the catalog as it impacts other departments and customers.
- Work with current and new vendors on outsourced cataloging by setting up new accounts, testing EDI processes, bib imports, and review record quality
- Demonstrate initiative be creating processes that improve quality and quantity of cataloging
- Supervise the creation and maintenance of serial records and work with public services staff in resolving serial control issues.
- Supervise a cataloging team of two professional catalogers and one catalog assistant
- Create original Spanish records and adapt Vietnamese records.
- Provide excellent customer service to library staff and customers
- Understand the bias in subject terms and classification and collaborate with the library community to build more equitable cataloging practices
- Work closely with the processing team to troubleshoot issues and streamline processes
This role is perfect for a candidate who has knowledge of AACR2, RDA, MARC formats, linked data, authority control, Dewey Decimal Classification, Library of Congress Subject Headings and serial control. Skill in using business software, MARC edit, and ILS. Ability to provide strong, compassionate leadership. Ability to demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills, positive attitude, cultural sensitivity and sense of humor in working with customers, coworkers and community. Ability to creatively solve problems, negotiate and handle stressful situations in a positive manner. Ability to multitask and prioritize. Ability to demonstrate innovation and flexibility. Ability to select, train, motivate and supervise professional and support staff. Ability to create and maintain positive staff relationships. Ability to use extensive technology including email, internet, databases, eMedia, social media and other software. Ability to pass a background check after the offer to hire has been made.
We realize your time is valuable so please do not apply if you do not have at least the following required minimum qualifications:
- Master’s in Library Science from an ALA accredited institution or the ability to obtain in .
- At least two years of post-MLS professional-level cataloging work in a library, including experience with OCLC.
- At least two years of supervisory experience.
- Experience working with Polaris Library Systems and Lean process improvement (preferred, not required).
Additional Info & Requirements
We anticipate this posting will close on Friday, May 28, 2021. Please submit an application online at your earliest convenience in order to be considered.