The Colorado State Library is seeking an energetic, self-motivated professional to join an ambitious team of librarians dedicated to building and sustaining the best institutional libraries in the nation. Under the direction of the state Institutional Library Development Coordinator:
* establish standards and evaluation measures for high quality institutional library service in up to 15 facilities operated by the Department of Corrections (DOC);
* develop and implement consistent library policies and procedures for DOC facilities statewide;
* plan services and develop collections that support offenders’ re-entry efforts, diverse educational needs, and recreational reading interests;
* advocate within the DOC and the larger library community for the value of quality public library-type services for the incarcerated;
* assist the DOC in recruiting and hiring qualified library staff and provide ongoing training, continuing education, and targeted coaching for all DOC library staff;
* assess needs and justify budget requests to both the DOC and Department of Education;
* develop library programs and services that encourage reading and promote literacy and train staff to incorporate information literacy instruction when responding to patrons’ information requests;
* perform routine administrative tasks for each assigned library’s Integrated Library System (ILS);
* write grant proposals to obtain supplementary funding and implement funded projects;
* participate in planning library design and services for new and expanding correctional facilities, to ensure the space meets library standards for service and correctional standards for security
The individual hired for this position will have an office in a Department of Corrections facility in Denver, Pueblo, or Canon City, depending on the applicant’s preference and office availability at the time of hire.
3 years of professional experience required
•Master’s degree in Library Science, Educational Technology/Media, or equivalent information science master’s degree from a NCATE or ALA accredited institution.
•Minimum three (3) years professional-level (graduate degree required) library experience, including two (2) years professional-level experience managing or consulting with an institutional (preferably correctional) library.
•Thorough knowledge of library principles and practices: selecting, acquiring, reference service; readers’ advisory service; planning and evaluation of library services; Internet and online database searching.
•Thorough knowledge of correctional practices applicable to a public library-type environment.
•Strong computer skills using Windows and Microsoft Office products.
•Ability to pass a background check which also includes a motor vehicle records search.
•Willingness and ability to travel extensively within Colorado.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENT:
Must have NO felony convictions and must successfully complete the Colorado Department of Corrections (DOC) Basic Training coursework in Canon City, including a physical self-defense component. Must also pass a background investigation and drug screening to be cleared to work in DOC facilities.
• Consulting experience with multiple correctional or institutional libraries.
• Experience developing and conducting effective training for library staff.
• Supervisory experience.
• Demonstrated ability to advocate for libraries within non-library agencies.
• Organized, persuasive written and oral communication skills.
• Ability to manage multiple priorities at the same time.
• Proven project management skills.
• Successful experience with justification and management of multiple budgets.
• Excellent interpersonal skills.
• Flexibility and a high tolerance for ambiguity.
Details on how to apply, as well as complete qualifications and job responsibilities, are available at http://www.cde.state.co.us/cdemgmt/download/9114-SeniorConsultant.pdf.
The link to the CDE employment application may be found at http://www.cde.state.co.us/cdemgmt/HR/jobs.htm.
Institutional Library Development Coordinator
Colorado State Library
If no response after 3 business days (there may be an e-mail filtering issue), call direct at 719-269-5607 or 303-866-6341.
Are you a librarian dedicated to serving people whom others might prefer to forget? Do you have a flair for reconciling competing organizational values between libraries and non-library agencies? Can you get to “yes” in a world built on “no”? Do you dream of traveling the beautiful state of Colorado to train and coach library staff to provide exceptional correctional library services? Do you thoroughly enjoy recounting success stories “from the inside” at picnics and cocktail parties? Have you always secretly suspected that you belong in prison? If you answered yes to these questions, you may be the Colorado State Library’s next Institutional Library Development Senior Consultant!
Job Announcement and CDE application: http://www.cde.state.co.us/cdemgmt/HR/jobs.htm
State Library prison libraries web page: http://www.cde.state.co.us/cdelib/prisonlibraries/
Institutional Library Development web page: http://www.cde.state.co.us/cdelib/prisonlibraries/institutions.htm
Colorado Department of Corrections, Correctional Libraries: http://www.doc.state.co.us/correctional-libraries