Pueblo City County Library District is seeking a Director of Public Services to join our dynamic team of professionals. Under the direction of the Executive Director, this position is responsible for supervising managers and the operations of all Library District public service departments including Rawlings Circulation Services, Rawlings Reference and Readers’ Advisory Services, Rawlings Youth Services, the InfoZone Museum at the Rawlings Library, Satellites and Outreach Services, the Pueblo West Library, the Barkman Library, the Lamb Library and the Library @ the Y. The work requires the exercise of discretion, initiative, excellent communication skills, and independent judgment. The incumbent participates as part of the Library District’s senior administrative team, and is the primary authority and decision-maker for the District in the absence of the Executive Director.
▪▪ I. JOB PURPOSE
Administers the operation of all Library District public service agencies, including Rawlings Circulation Services, Rawlings Reference and Readers’ Advisory Services, Rawlings Youth Services, the InfoZone Museum at the Rawlings Library, Satellites and Outreach Services, the Pueblo West Library, the Barkman Library, the Lamb Library and the Library @ the Y.
▪▪ II. RELATIONSHIPS
Under the direction of the Executive Director, the position supervises the public services department heads at the Rawlings Library, the supervising librarians at each branch library and the supervisor of Outreach Services. The work requires the exercise of discretion, initiative, excellent communication skills, and independent judgment. The incumbent participates as part of the Library District’s senior administrative team, and is the primary authority and decision-maker for the District in the absence of the Executive Director.
▪▪ III. PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Plans and implements PCCLD service programs
• Coordinates the operations of all public service units and works to insure an integrated program of service delivery, including circulation services, maintenance of collections, reference services,public access to information and collections, public programming, and security
• Monitors and evaluates the performance of subordinate agencies toward specific objectives and insures operational effectiveness through continuous quality improvement
• Provides leadership in the development and implementation of plans, objectives, and operating budgets for all public service agencies
• Inspires and promotes public service library employee involvement in organizational progress through collaborative problem-solving processes, training, education and development
• Investigates new trends in library programs and services, techniques, materials and equipment, and participates in developing recommendations for District-wide objectives
• Determines staffing needs and selects and supervises staff who manage key library units
• Works with other members of senior management to insure coordination and cooperation between departments and branches, and helps formulate and interpret management decisions, directions, policies and procedures to staff and the public
• Coordinates in conjunction with public service agencies and Community Relations the delivery of public programs, exhibits and events
• Works with the Director of Human Resources to recruit, hire, and evaluate public services staff
• Works with the Chief Financial Officer to assist in formulating and managing public service agency budgets
• Works with Facilities to identify and resolve building issues
• Works with Information Technology to assist in planning and managing technology resources for public service agencies
• Coordinates with Technical Services and Collection Development to efficiently select, acquire, catalog and deliver materials responsive to Library user needs
• Receives and responds to suggestions from the public and resolves customers’ complaints and problems
• Represents the Pueblo City-County Library to appropriate community, state and professional organizations
• Manages special projects and performs other duties as instructed and assigned
▪▪ IV. EDUCATION, KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Education and Experience: Masters degree in Library Science from an accredited university required. Seven years professional library experience, and five years of progressively responsible supervisory or administrative experience.
Skills and Abilities: Highly developed interpersonal skills, including the ability to persuade, negotiate and lead others; well developed managerial/supervisory skills; good communications, public speaking and problem-solving skills; considerable knowledge of books, authors, and non-book print, video, audio and online resources; thorough knowledge of public library systems, policies, trends, and best practices; ability to perform complex work and follow tasks through to completion; ability to use independent judgment within procedural boundaries and work effectively in group/team environments; and ability to be flexible and work under changing conditions.
Other Requirements: Applicants must pass a criminal background investigation. Must have good driving record, current Colorado Driver’s License and automobile insurance.
Equal Opportunity Employer.
Pueblo City-County Library District
Ideas, Imagination & Information
We serve as a foundation for our community by offering welcoming, well equipped and maintained facilities,outstanding collections, and well-trained employees who provide expert service encouraging the joy of reading, supporting lifelong learning and presenting access to information from around the world.
Books and Beyond
Spanish is Not Required
Submit a completed PCCLD Employment Application, letter of interest and resume.
Mail: PCCLD, HR, 100 E. Abriendo Ave., Pueblo, CO 81004
Sara Rose, Director of Human Resources