1. Shelves library materials including adult, reference, and children's books; magazines; videotapes; DVDs, audio cassettes; and compact disks. Tasks include sorting and shelving in alphabetical or numerical order in designated sections of the Central branch library.
2. Operates and monitors the TechLogic Automated Materials Handling Machine as materials are returned. Troubleshoots for any problems mechanical or computer related. Determines and contacts appropriate staff person when assistance is necessary. Assesses rejected materials and takes appropriate, corrective action to discharge these items.
3. Discharges library materials returned to the library. Identifies and separates materials for delivery to other branches of the Boulder Public Library System or to other libraries outside the Boulder Public Library System.
4. Unpacks, discharges, and sorts materials from the Boulder Public Library branches delivered twice daily and from libraries outside the Boulder Public Library system delivered once daily.
5. Retrieves paged items for local requests, requests made by the Flatiron Consortium and Prospector libraries, and inter-library loan requests.
6. Checks public areas for materials off the shelves. Collects materials and returns them to the appropriate shelves. Maintains order on shelves.
7. Checks all media items including videotapes, DVDs, audiocassettes, and compact disks for missing parts upon return by the public.
8. Identifies and separates returned materials needing repair.
9. Reactivates magnetic security strips on all returned library materials before shelving.
10. Makes and affixes new barcodes as needed for materials.
• Performs related duties as required to meet the needs of the city.
• Takes proper safety precautions to prevent accidents. Responsible for the safety of self, others, materials, and equipment. Uses all required safety equipment and follows all safety regulations, policies and procedures. Reports all accidents and damage to city property.
• Responsible for knowing and complying with all city and department policies; participating in professional trainings and development; and adhering to attendance and workplace attire policies.
Generally duties are listed from most to least critical or time consuming.
The City of Boulder is committed to hiring employees who provide excellent customer service. Our employees act with a high level of integrity, and take responsibility for their words and actions.
City of Boulder employees strive to respect and appreciate each individual's differences, and to work effectively with all people and their diverse backgrounds. We support candid and honest interactions, which respect other points of view, and are sensitive to communication differences. We achieve organizational goals through inclusive problem solving, planning, and decision-making. Community partnerships are included in this effort.
CITY VISION AND VALUES:
The City of Boulder is committed to service excellence for an inspired future and the following values:
• Customer service - We are dedicated to exceeding the expectations of our community and our co-workers by demonstrating consistent and professional service with a solution-oriented approach
• Respect - We champion diversity and welcome individual perspectives, backgrounds and opinions. We are open-minded and treat all individuals with respect and dignity.
• Integrity - We are stewards of the public's trust and are committed to service that is transparent and consistent with city regulations and policies. We are honorable, follow through on our commitments and accept responsibility.
• Collaboration - We are committed to organizational success and celebrate our shared dedication to public service. We believe community collaboration and the sum of our individual contributions leads to great results.
• Innovation - We promote a forward-thinking environment that supports creativity, calculated risks and continuous improvement. We embrace change and learn from others in order to deliver leading edge service.
REQUIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Understanding of and expertise in alphabetical and numerical order functions. Demonstrates speed and accuracy in alphabetizing and putting items in numeric order. Work experience demonstrating dependability, punctuality, and precision. Ability to operate a personal computer by navigating the Internet, using email, word processing, and basic database programs.
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS – In addition to the required minimum qualifications:
Ability to communicate in at least one language other than English, or proficiency in Braille and/or sign language. Knowledge of the Dewey Decimal System.
CIty of Boulder, Human Resources
1101 Arapahoe Ave
Boulder, CO 80302
CIty website: http://www.bouldercolorado.gov/