POSITION SUMMARY: Seeking a collaborative, friendly, energetic, flexible, and creative professional who has wonderful customer service skills and a passion for library programming and outreach/community engagement. This position operates in a diverse environment to help fulfill PPLD’s mission by providing children’s programming, children’s reference, readers’ advisory services and a focus on training Every Child Ready to Read. This position uses comprehensive knowledge of library science, the PPLD children’s collection, electronic databases, current technologies, and community resources.
- Works on the public service desks providing reference service to walk-ins, over the phone, and via electronic delivery, references services includes reference and reader’s advisory services with age-appropriate materials and online searches for children, caregivers and educators.
- Creates, promotes, and presents children’s programming (focuses on developmental needs, interests, and promoting children’s literacy to parents and other adults and caregivers).
- Promotes library services and materials through coordinating and implementing age-appropriate tours, publicity, displays and merchandising; collaborates with schools and provides outreach.
- Acts as primary liaison for schools and daycare programs, tours, and collaborations at Library 21C.
- Coordinates and implements Sensory Storytime programs for the library and community.
- Collaborates with schools or community groups and provides outreach to communicate services and programs.
- Serves on Children’s Services committees (currently JReader, Facebook, and Kids Web).
- Assists with departmental and Family Place purchasing, budgeting, and financial system (Munis) functions.
- Develops reading lists, pathfinders, booktalks, displays or other creative means to make the children’s collection more accessible.
- Suggests Children’s collection materials based on PPLD’s collection guidelines and policies, examines Children’s collection for replacement and/or removal of materials.
- Provides expertise regarding children’s developmental stages, interests, community needs and children’s literature.
- May manage Children’s collection materials (i.e., storytelling collection, literacy kits, reference)
- May organize and conduct projects related to departmental goals and needs.
- Performs other job-related duties and projects as assigned.
- Duties and/or role may eventually change depending upon reorganization efforts currently in process.
Description of Community
Colorado Springs, located at the foot of Pikes Peak – America’s Mountain, is a diverse community with excellent opportunities for education, culture, outdoor activities and offers great weather averaging 245 days of sunshine annually. It is the mission of the Pikes Peak Library District to seek, engage, and transform through library services and resources that enrich individual lives and build community.
Please complete the application at PPLD.org/jobs
- Requires an essay response. In order to be considered as a qualified applicant for this position, you must write and submit a typed and double-spaced essay (250-300 words), in response to the following topic:
- Please describe the importance of at least two of the following specialized programs: Music and Movement, Sensory Storytime, or Outreach events. Include examples of appropriate programming ideas in your response.
- Include the essay with your other PPLD job application materials. Applications that are submitted without the above requested essay will not be considered for this position. Include the essay with your other PPLD job application materials.
HR Contact Information
PPLD Human Resource @ 719-884-9800 x6994
POSITION HOURS: 40 hours per week per the following schedule:
Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Tuesday 12 p.m. – 9 p.m.
Every 3rd Saturday (flex Monday) 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Every 6th Sunday 1 p.m. – 5 p.m.
Note: Schedule will also include working every third Saturday and every sixth Sunday. To accommodate the Saturday hours, every third Monday this person will not work. Regular schedule may be subject to minor changes due to required meetings, programs, training events, etc. Also, management may require modifications to a position’s schedule, days, times and locations at any time as the needs of the Library District change.
Job Details and Application Procedure: http://PPLD.org/Jobs