Broad Scope of Position:
This position works closely with Colorado public library directors and trustees to support library and community development with such issues as strategic planning, governance, legal and policy considerations, standards and practices, and community engagement. This position also partners within CDE and with other Colorado agencies to develop strong and vibrant communities and meet the educational, civic, and economic development needs and aspirations of our communities and residents. This position is part of a broader team of vibrant and creative library development professionals.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as a leader for public library and community development by facilitating and supporting strategic planning, policy development, and other aspects of public library leadership and administration.
- Provide consultation and instruction to library leaders on standards, best practices, trustee training, and topics for improving Colorado communities and library services, including overseeing the ongoing development of Colorado public library standards and guidelines.
- Develop strategic partnerships, innovative statewide initiatives, and grant projects that improve Colorado public libraries’ capacity to meet community aspirations and needs and encourage public community engagement.
- Represent the State Library with statewide stakeholders including local and regional library groups, nonprofit and state organizations that support library efforts, national colleagues, and other community organizations to strengthen public libraries
- Assist local library leaders and other government entities gain a better understanding of Colorado library law and other legal requirements as they relate to public library administration, district formation, ballot initiatives, and long-range planning.
- Facilitate collaboration among Colorado library staffs and connect library innovators to further strengthen public libraries for future success and effectiveness.
- Coordinate meetings and groups interested in aspects of library effectiveness, such as fundraising, trustee development, regional networking, professional development, civil discourse, workforce development, economic development, and diversity.
- Support communities in developing sustainable public library governance structures and all aspects of successful public library offerings.
- Other duties as assigned.
Description of Community
The consultant travels throughout the beautiful state of Colorado.
Please apply at:
This position reports to Sharon Morris, Director of Library Development.