Description of Community
Gain practical professional experience in a fast-paced academic library. The CU-Boulder University Libraries is looking for a Special Collections, Archives, and Preservation Apprentice who will receive hands on learning in these three areas. The work the apprentice performs will be based on the applicants interests and existing knowledge. This apprenticeship is a great opportunity to supplement your graduate studies with experiential learning.
- Provide research assistance and assist in instruction in the Special Collections and Archives Reading Room.
- Assist in enclosure making and simple conservation treatments for Preservation.
- Begin processing archival collections.
- May be asked to attend trainings, workshops, and meetings with ample opportunity for professional development.
- Present on your experience at end of semester to wider library audience.
- Other projects or duties are possible based on the interests of the applicant and needs of the library.
Other Education Credentials
Currently enrolled as a library & information science graduate student for the duration of the apprenticeship.
Other Required/Preferred Skills & Experience
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and productively.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, and oral and written communication skills.
- Currently enrolled as a library & information science graduate student for the duration of the apprenticeship.
- Completion or current enrollment in a special collections, archives, or preservation course.
- Interest in pursuing a career in academic librarianship.
This program begins in late August and runs through December of the same year. The Apprentice is expected to complete approximately 100 hours sometime during CU’s fall semester of the 2018-2019 academic year (approximately 6-8 hours per week if stretched out over the semester). The Apprentice will be paid $15.00/hr, up to $1500 for the semester. For full consideration, apply by July 20th, 2018
To apply, please submit the following documents:
- Cover Letter
- Unofficial Transcript
Send materials with “ Friends of the Libraries Special Collections, Archives, and Preservation Apprenticeship” in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org
HR Contact Information
Job Announcement: https://www.colorado.edu/libraries/jobs-opportunities/friends-libraries-special-collections-archives-and-preservation-apprenticeship