PPLD is seeking a librarian who passionately embraces technology, science, music, and art. This librarian has the ability to inspire imagination, draw out potential, and create a gathering place for the community primarily at the East and Sand Creek Libraries. Supports Ruth Holley and Fountain. This position requires flexibility, collaboration, communication, and the ability to identify priorities and shift focus quickly. In order to help fulfill PPLD’s mission, we want a professional with a positive attitude, excellent interpersonal skills, and a sense of humor while working in an environment rich with diversity. We are searching for a bold individual who enjoys people.
- Oversees the East and Sand Creek Makerspaces and Sand Creek Recording Studio. Maintains equipment and software for both the Makerspace and Recording Studio.
- Gauges level of service based on community interest and need and provides relevant and meaningful services and programs to the residents of East and Sand Creek Libraries and southern El Paso County.
- Assists patrons in the recording studio, coordinates scheduling and instruction. Is familiar with or can easily become familiar with recording software and the process of the recording and sound/video capture.
- Assists patrons in the makerspaces with a variety of machinery, including 3D printers, laser cutter, a kiln, sewing and embroidery machines, etc.
- Works with Creative Services to provide programs and services that are responsive to community needs while sparking interest, curiosity, and fun, inspiring children, teens, adults, and intergenerational audiences to embrace their interests and ignite their creativity. Provides and schedules instruction and programming, coordinates efforts with other staff and departments.
- Working with Creative Services and Branch Managers, maintains and critically analyzes ongoing programs and services while introducing new offerings.
- Acts as a mentor by connecting patrons and staff with information, tools, and resources to pursue their passions.
- Serves as “person in charge” in the absence of the Branch Managers or Branch Supervisors by assuming a leadership role to address emergency situations, safety issues, and patron feedback.
- Seeks out and engages with community groups to promote the library and creative services.
- Provides library tours and presentations on library services.
- Develops and maintains partnerships with outside organizations and community groups.
- Works on the public service desks providing customer service, which can include electronic reference.
- Assists and instructs patrons on library resources.
- Works with the Branch Managers to oversee the makerspace and programming budgets for East and Sand Creek Libraries. Supports staff with purchasing and makes recommendations for service and equipment improvements in the makerspaces and recording studio.
- Maintains confidentiality in all patron and staff interactions.
- Demonstrates an interest in and ability to use and troubleshoot technology of all kinds while helping patrons in the makerspaces and while on the public or circulation desk.
- Serves as an effective team member by providing leadership support to the library through collaborative problem solving and decision making.
- Demonstrates flexibility to change direction/priorities based on community need.
- Provides input on policy and procedure as needed.
- Performs other job-related duties and projects as assigned.
- Master’s Degree in Library Science (MLS) or Master’s Degree in Library and Information Science (MLIS) with a demonstrated interest in makerspaces.
- Prefer a candidate with a minimum of one year of MLS/MLIS experience; previous experience in instruction, programs with emerging technology a plus.
- Has the ability to listen to and engage their community, to draw out needs and interests. Finds joy in serving the public.
- SIRSI experience is a plus!
- Excellent communication skills, demonstrates a “whatever-it-takes” work ethic, and models an excellent customer service attitude.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish is a plus in serving our diverse community.
Requires a cover letter that addresses applicant’s fit for the position and past programming experience.
Applications that are submitted without the above requested cover letter will not be considered for this position. Include the letter with your other PPLD job application materials.
Description of Community
DESCRIPTION OF COMMUNITY
Colorado Springs is located at the foot of Pikes Peak – America’s Mountain. The city is the second most populous city in the state of Colorado. Colorado Springs is a place that offers something for everyone; with great educational institutions, abundant sunshine year round, magnificent natural scenery, outdoor activities including hiking, bicycling, fishing and camping, the arts, theatre and charming communities.
Pikes Peak Library District serves more than 623,000 residents in El Paso County, providing access to resources that are critical to the public, making it a vital force for individual and community transformation for 50 years. Our service area covers more than 2000 square miles. PPLD is the second largest library district in the State of Colorado. Our 14 locations stretch north to Monument, south to Fountain, and west to Cascade and east to Falcon. Our newest Library 21c is a state-of-the-art facility with the Creative Computer Commons, Makerspace, Family Place area, Center for Public Media, Business and Entrepreneurial Center, a 400 seat Performance & Meeting Venue, and more. PPLD’s 2017 General Fund annual budget is $30.4M with approximately 480 staff members (348 FTE). PPLD was recently named the #1 Best Workplaces for an Extra Large Company in Colorado Springs by the Gazette, our local newspaper!
PROCEDURE FOR APPLICATION:
- Complete a PPLD online application located at ppld.org/Jobs on the Application tab
- Attachments should be submitted in the following file types: .doc, .xls, .xlsx, .pdf, .htm
- A Cover Letter addressing why you would be a good fit for this position is required.
- If you require an accommodation to complete your job application, please contact the Human Resources Office at (719) 884-9800 Ext. 6998