Actively supports and upholds the City’s stated mission and values. Performs highly responsible administrative, supervisory and professional library work in directing the operations of the City-County library system.
Under general supervision of the Economic Vitality Director, employees of this class are expected to exercise a high degree of independence, innovation, initiative and professional expertise in the management and functions of the City-County Library, branches, and Coconino County Library District and to assure that the services of the library system meet the informational, social, cultural, and recreational needs of the community.
A vital aspect of this position is the administrative nature and the responsibility of all library functions and facilities, including the main library and auxiliary branches. Another important aspect of this position is its accountability to not only the City of Flagstaff municipality, but also to Coconino County municipality, the Coconino County Board of Supervisors, and the State of Arizona Board of Library Examiners.
- Supervisory: This job has full responsibility for supervision at the section level (hires, directs, schedules, transfers, promotes, rewards, disciplines, and terminates other employees.)
- Budgetary: This job has full responsibility for budgeting at the section level (prepares, implements, and manages) for the City of Flagstaff and Coconino County. Budgeting requirements are for two separate governing budget cycles, and includes presenting to both authorities during their designated budget reviews.
- Strategic Planning: This job has full responsibility for strategic planning at the section level (develops, implements, interprets, and manages long and short-term goals).
- Policies/Procedures: This job has full responsibility for policies and procedures at the section level (develops, implements, and interprets).
- Compliance: This job has partial responsibility at the section level (follows, assists in ensuring compliance with, and may enforce) Federal, State, and Local laws, rules, and regulations as well as City policies and procedures.
- Council Communications: This job has full responsibility for Council communication at the section level (makes recommendations and presentations, writes staff summaries, ensures Performance Measures are met, and balances needs with Council’s adopted priorities and direction).
- Reporting: This job has full responsibility for reporting to Federal/State/Local agencies at the section level (ensures reporting requirements are met, trains others on reporting requirements and methods, and addresses discrepancies in reporting) for the following reports/agencies: Arizona State Library, Archives, & Public Records, Coconino County, Coconino County Board of Supervisors, City of Flagstaff, and Flagstaff City Council.
EXAMPLES OF THE WORK PERFORMED (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- Provides excellent customer service to both internal and external customers.
- Directly supervises four staff; Information Technology Manager, Executive Assistant, City Services Deputy Library Director, and County Services Deputy Library Director
- Has overall supervisory responsibility for the library staff, including professionals, paraprofessionals, clerks, pages, IT and clerical staff.
- Direct responsibility for the Flagstaff Libraries and the County Library District including the Flagstaff City-Coconino County Public Library, East Flagstaff Community Library, Preschoolers Acquiring Literacy Skills (PALS) mobile, Branch Libraries under jurisdiction; Tuba City Public Library, Grand Canyon Community Library, Correctional Facility Library, County Bookmobile, Forest Lakes Community Library, Supai Community Library and partial responsibility to the Affiliate Libraries; Page Public Library, Sedona Public Library, Fredonia Public Library, Williams Public Library and Law Library.
- Oversee Flagstaff Library & County-wide Library IT department.
- Oversee scheduling, organizing, and chairing of County Library District Council meetings which include the Flagstaff, Fredonia, Page, Sedona, and Williams Public Libraries.
- Responsible for overseeing Library District Council conversations regarding potential tax rate increases and presenting any recommendations as needed to the County Manager & County Board of Supervisors.
- Full responsibility for budgets and expenditures for Library District and Flagstaff Libraries including requisitions, purchase orders, p card transactions, invoice approvals, and all other expenditures
- Create reports (written and oral) and present to the Economic Vitality Director, City Leadership, City Council, County Board of Supervisors & County Manager, Arizona State Library, Library Board, Friends of the Library, and Library Foundation.
- Advising and presenting recommendations as needed from the Library District Council to the County Board of Supervisors.
- Approve Flagstaff and district-wide library programs using library funds.
- Manage Arizona State Library requests
- Attend Arizona State Library, Archives & Public Records statewide meetings and conferences for the Coconino County Library District as needed.
- Responsible for advising, reviewing, and approving all grant applications, as well as overseeing grant expenditures and management.
- Travel to District libraries, site visits to County Branch Libraries, community organization meetings and events (CCC, Cline, United Way, etc.)
- Promote and advocate for library programs in the Flagstaff and District libraries.
- Oversee contracts, agreements, and work with the Deputy County Library Director on the City-County Intergovernmental Agreement (IGA).
- Manage and assess all library building needs and improvement project.
- Responsible for maintaining interior and exterior of all Library buildings.
- Establishes measures to improve methods, use of equipment, technology, changes in operations, working conditions, quality of work, and any necessary expansion to increase the efficiency of the division.
- Assists the Economic Vitality Director with short and long-range planning and goals for the division.
- Implements and recommends library employee hires, new personnel requests, personnel change requests, zone change requests, appropriate starting salary amounts for recruitments and offers of employment, promotions, transfers, discharges, and disciplinary measures to the Economic Vitality Director.
- Represents the library when dealing with the Library Board, Arizona State Library, Arizona State Librarian, and other libraries, the media and the general public.
- Investigates and resolves citizen complaints that cannot be handled by other library personnel.
- Establishes priorities of work within the library division.
- Conducts staff conferences and meetings.
- Assists the County Librarian with coordination of the Coconino County Library District Council.
- Directs, reviews, and approves the preparation of reports.
- Advises and approves Friends of the Library and Flagstaff Public Library Foundation activities according to library needs and goals.
- Supports fundraising projects for Flagstaff Public Library Foundation Endowment Fund and Friends of the Library.
- Reviews, submits and administers grant proposals to supplement library funding and services.
- Advises and works with county affiliate library staff to promote, provide, and develop library services throughout the county.
- Informs and monitors supervisory personnel in general city and library policies and procedures.
- Coordinates with other officials, leaders, citizens, schools, clubs, and other community organizations in library matters.
- May participate in community activities as a public liaison.
- Speaks before civic and professional groups on the plans, objectives, policies and programs of the library division.
- Performs related duties as required.
- Provides excellent customer service to both internal and external customers.
- Other duties as assigned.
Other Required/Preferred Skills & Experience
DESIRED EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING
- Master’s degree in library science from an American Library Association (ALA)-accredited school.
- Experience in multicultural library services.
- Knowledge about the local community needs and resources.
- Knowledge of and experience with collection development/maintenance.
- Experience with managing Strategic Plans.
- Six years of experience with innovative library technology and computers.
- Must possess, or obtain upon employment, a valid Arizona driver’s license.
- Upon hire, must furnish satisfactory recommendations from two former employers (A.R.S. § 11-906 et seq.)
- Regular attendance is an essential function of this job to ensure continuity.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- Extensive knowledge of principles, methods, and practices of library administration, supervision, and community needs.
- Ability to uphold moral character and commendable conduct; work with the public; maintain public relations; conduct the financial affairs of a library in a business-like manner; and show willingness to continue training (A.R.S. § 11-906 et seq.).
- Knowledge of library business, group and community interests, and professional library literature.
- Extensive knowledge of sound methods of library management.
- Ability to keep abreast of new developments in the library science profession.
- Ability to formulate and implement, along with two deputy directors, an overall vision and direction for the City library division and Coconino County Library District.
- Ability to analyze library needs and services.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with City and County leadership, the library board, community leaders, public officials, county affiliate libraries, other employees, professional groups, and the general public.
- Ability to lead a strong professional library staff.
- Ability to stimulate professional growth among employees and to motivate professional effort and innovation.
- Ability to represent the Coconino County Library District and the City of Flagstaff at professional library and other meetings, conferences, conventions, and panels.
- Ability to speak and write professionally and effectively.
- Considerable knowledge of the methods, technology, hardware, software, equipment, and materials used in a library system.
- Ability to interpret effectively the policies of the library division to the employees and the general public.
- Extensive knowledge of the objectives and ideals of a public library system, including a thorough understanding of technology, programs, activities, facilities, and materials which make up a community library system.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to use hands to finger/handle/feel, reach with hands and arms, talk or hear, taste or smell. The employee is regularly required to stand, walk and sit. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
- The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Vision requirements for this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Working conditions include occasional exposure to work near moving mechanical parts; work in high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; outdoor weather conditions; and risk of electrical shock.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
All applicants must submit a cover letter including the following information: 1) Do you meet the minimum education requirements (i.e. Master’s degree in library science from an American Library Association (ALA)-accredited school, together with one year of experience in a public library of recognized standing, OR Bachelor’s degree conferred by an accredited college or university, plus fifteen (15) hours of courses in library science and two (2) years of appropriate experience in a public library of recognized standing)? And 2) If you do not meet the minimum education requirements, would you have the ability to and agree to working towards the minimum education requirements upon hire and complete such work within twelve (12) to eighteen (18) months?
Library Director Job Posting: https://www.flagstaff.az.gov/Jobs.aspx?UniqueId=167&From=All&CommunityJobs=False&JobID=Library-Director-1686
Apply Online: https://www.flagstaff.az.gov/MyAccount?from=url&url=%2fapplication.aspx%3fJID%3d1686