Job Summary: This position provides appropriate handling, rehousing and care for collections, including but not limited to, books, rare books, documents, photographs, blueprints, and other archival materials. Working under the direction of Library staff, the Assistant prepares collection items for the upcoming move to offsite storage. As part of the Helen Fowler Library team, this position supports library services and works on other library or collections projects as assigned.
Career Type - Temporary - Tues-Sat Shifts Preferred Up to 35 hours a Week - Start Now Ending Approximately July 1st
Essential Job Duties:
- Prepare Denver Botanic Gardens library collection items of various kinds, including old or delicate books, for safe transport and storage during the Helen Fowler Library closure.
- Consistently and accurately perform collections-handling functions, including but not limited to packing, preservation, and data management.
- Consistently follow established standards for tasks, including but not limited to collections processing, materials handling, record keeping and preserving items.
- Follow departmental guidelines and policies, alerting management and Library staff to relevant challenges or ambiguities.
- Organize, coordinate or complete assigned projects, meeting assigned deadlines and alerting team members to any disruptions or challenges discovered.
- Maintain accurate data, documents, files and processes, including all records and related statistics.
Other Job Duties:
- Assist with move planning, coordination, and execution.
- Assist with administrative duties such as maintaining office/library equipment, liaising with product or service vendors, ordering office supplies, etc.
- Assist with archives and general library packing and moving, including but not limited to collections, equipment, supplies and records.
- Problem-solve challenges as needed, acting within established guidelines.
- Contribute to book reviews, blog posts, and other education/outreach efforts.
- Work with all departments to assure highest quality experience for all DBG visitors.
- Maintain satisfactory working relationships with managers, co-workers and others.
- Maintain a positive, helpful and solution oriented demeanor when responding to or serving members and visitors.
- Perform any additional duties as assigned or required.
Other Required/Preferred Skills & Experience
Qualifications/ Experience: Minimum three months prior knowledge and previous experience working with rare books, archives, or special library collections is required. The position requires demonstrated knowledge, skill and ability handling collections and consistent attention to detail. Must be able to maintain accurate records, files and schedules. Must be able to prioritize, multi-task, and work both independently and on teams. A degree or progress toward a degree in Library and Information Science or a related field is desirable. Experience making phase boxes, rare book boxes or similar containers is desirable. Previous experience or knowledge of horticulture, botany, or gardening is not required.
To Apply Click Here