Broad Scope of Position: The Assistant Commissioner for the office of library services directs the Colorado State Library (CSL) under the direction of the Commissioner of Education or designee, in accordance with CRS §24-90-104 and 105. This position provides leadership for library services in Colorado, coordinates development and implementation of Colorado’s LSTA 5-year plan, and serves as an advocate for all types of libraries and their contribution to literacy, information acquisition, and lifelong learning. This position also works collaboratively within the Colorado Department of Education (CDE) and with the library and school communities to provide the best possible library service to students and citizens in the state of Colorado and to foster student achievement.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
A. Serve as a leader for public library and direct all activities of the Colorado State Library (CSL), including library development, resource sharing, talking book services, state publications, state institutions (including prisons), community outreach, state or federal grants for library materials, research, and other programs that may be created or enhanced to improve library services statewide.
B. Provide leadership and vision to the staff in CDE and libraries in Colorado with regard to successful life-long learning, including preschool through post-secondary education.
C. Provide leadership to staff in a cooperative, team-based environment to advance the goals of the CSL and libraries in the state.
D. Be a thought leader on library topics and communicate with leaders in Colorado and nationally about Colorado’s vision of and goals for exemplary library services, while guiding acquisition of resources and effective deployment of CSL staff expertise to achieve these goals.
E. Provide information and advice on library matters to the State Board of Education, Commissioner, Deputy Commissioner, CDE Cabinet, and other organizations in Colorado.
F. Be a representative for the state library and library programs in education, government, citizen, and community initiatives to foster a better understanding for the role of local libraries and the CSL in furthering statewide goals for education, career, technology use, information access, and learning for all ages.
G. Facilitate collaboratively the development of, communication about, and guidance for ideas and programs within the library community to assure improved access to information and resources by the public.
H. In cooperation with CDE and CSL fiscal leaders, prepare and defend a budget which assures full legal compliance with state and federal (IMLS) funding rules and procedures.
I. Answer questions about the CSL's programs and the state’s libraries when requested by the Governor’s Office, Legislature, or the public.
J. Work closely with the Colorado Association of Libraries, the Colorado Library Consortium (CLiC) staff and board, and other library consortia and organizations that currently exist or may be created to further library and learning goals in Colorado.
K. Participate in and attend national association conferences, including but not limited to ALA, COSLA, and the Western Council of State Librarians.
L. Other duties as assigned
Additional Info & Requirements
Position closes July 6, 2018 at 4 pm MDT
· A Master’s degree from an institution accredited by the American Library Association (ALA) and at least seven years of progressively responsible library experience, five of which shall have been in administrative positions (24-90-104 (3) CRS) in large library-related organizations such as a state library, library, other consortia or the equivalent.
· Work experience that demonstrates knowledge of all types of library settings.
· Proven experience in supervising staff, including direct-report staff who supervise other staff.
· Demonstrated ability to articulate, strategically implement, and continually evaluate a vision for library service.
· Demonstrated commitment to PK-12 education and lifelong learning.
· Proven ability to articulate an understanding of the role and future trends of libraries in the learning process and as assets for community growth and civility.
· Collaborative leadership style and demonstrated success in team-based decision-making and project management.
· Ability and willingness to travel in and out of state.
· Ability to pass a background check.
· Knowledge of library issues, management, and practices for all sizes of libraries, including technology, advocacy, and legal matters that staff in libraries are likely to face now and in the future.
Experience with and knowledge of the complexities of Colorado geography, politics, underserved populations, fiscal challenges and fundraising, and how these factors shape the history and future of Colorado’s library infrastructure.
About the Colorado State Library
Library services are constantly shifting. The Colorado State Library helps library staff confidently navigate change to best serve their community.
CSL is a vibrant organization with some nationaly recognized programs. The staff are a dedicated and hardworking group committed to the values of innovation and leadership.
About the Colorado Department of Education
Through setting a clear vision for increasing student performance, CDE continually supports the advancement and improvement of the state's education system to prepare all learners for success in a rapidly changing global workplace.
Position #9008 Application is through NEOGOV
Applicants MUST submit a resume, cover letter/letter of interest detailing how their experience and background address the stated minimum and preferred qualifications/competencies of the job and attach to the online application. Applications left blank or marked "See Resume" will not be accepted.
Complete Applications must include the following documents:
- A complete online application.
- A cover letter (attach to your online application).
- A resume (attach to your online application).
Only complete applications submitted by the closing date for this announcement will be given consideration.