The Library Assistant performs a wide variety of customer service and library duties in a public library setting: customer service, readers advisory, technology assistance, account assistance, collection maintenance, programming planning and delivery, merchandizing, and clerical tasks. As frontline staff, assistants welcome and assist guests and uphold the mission and values of the Buena Vista Public Library. Library assistants work dynamic scheduled hours, including evenings and weekends.
1. Promotes and practices the Vision and Mission of BVPL and upholds foundational principles of the library and information profession.
2. Provide excellent customer service, greet every guest and provide directional assistance.
3. Build and maintain positive working relationships with library staff and community members.
4. Enforce the library’s policies and procedures, while safeguarding confidential and restricted information, both patron information and information related to personnel and pending organization changes. Complies with laws governing patron privacy, confidentiality CRS24-90-119 and ALA Code of Ethics.
5. Assist patrons with library catalog, computer, printer, and/or other equipment needs;
6. Verify registration information; issue library cards; collect fines and fees per established library policy;
7. Respond to customer requests for information and materials in-person, by email and by telephone;
8. Properly open and close the library as scheduled.
9. Process returned materials; examine items for damages; sort and shelve materials; prepare materials for courier;
10. Promptly read and respond to email; communicate updates and feedback with other staff; contribute to discussions and planning for library best practices and services;
11. Provide readers advisory to guests using local lists, online resources, and other appropriate tools;
12. Connect guests to physical and digital resources; assist guests in digital provider account registration, set up and downloads.
13. Promote library services through in-house and digital promotions;
14. Assist in reporting of statistic and maintenance of collection;
15. Assist in library programming;
16. Guide volunteers in tasks;
17. Maintain orderly individual and shared workspaces;
18. Adhere to appropriate standards of dress and behavior;
19. Completes special assignments related to Library operations as directed.
This employee has the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
· Mastery of the library's automated circulation system.
· Knowledge of the philosophy and objectives of public library service, including current trends and developments.
· Seeks training and professional opportunities to further library development, including reading of professional literature, webinars, workshops and conferences as applicable.
· Ability to provide outstanding customer service in person, on the telephone, and via e-mail and other forms of electronic communication.
· Digital literacy proficiency, including solid knowledge of Microsoft Office and G-Suite products.
· Ability to communicate effectively in oral and written English.
· Ability to effectively multitask while maintaining a positive attitude.
· Ability to deal calmly and effectively with a wide range of individuals, in some instances under stressful or emergency conditions.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
· On a continuous basis, stand and/or walk for long periods of time. Intermittently twist and reach materials: bend, stoop, crouch, kneel;
· Extend arms above the shoulder to reach and retrieve books and materials from shelves; grasp books and materials; lift materials and supplies which may weigh up to 40 pounds;
· Use phone system; write or use keyboard to communicate through written means;
· Visual acuity to read print and digital materials of various font size.
· Hearing acuity to answer phones and respond to patron verbal requests.
· Work is frequently disrupted by the need to respond to in-person and telephone inquiries;
· Work is performed indoors in an air-conditioned office environment with fluorescent or LED lighting and moderate noise level. There is some exposure to outside atmospheric conditions when supporting off-site programming and maintaining the book drop.
The Buena Vista Public Library (Northern Chaffee County Library District) serves the residents and guests of the Town of Buena Vista and the northern portion of Chaffee County, nestled in the Arkansas River Valley, surrounded by picturesque mountains and rock formations. The total service area of 9,000 residents relies on the library as a hub for gathering, entertainment, resources and programming.
Please send resume, letter of introduction and interest, and at least 3 professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Position open until filled. BVPL offers PTO, holiday pay, and PERA retirement contributions to all of its staff.