Colorado Department of Education
Colorado State Library
Directs all activities of the Colorado State Library (CSL), including library development, resource sharing, talking books services, state publications, state institutions (including prison library facilities), community outreach, state or federal grants for library materials and services, research, and other programs that may be created or enhanced to improve library services statewide.
Key Duties and responsibilities
- Provide leadership and vision to the staff in CDE and libraries in Colorado with regard to successful life-long learning, including preschool through post-secondary education.
- Provide leadership to staff in a cooperative, team-based environment to advance the goals of the CSL and libraries in the state.
- Be a thought leader on library topics and communicate with leaders in Colorado and nationally about Colorado's vision of and goals for exemplary library services, while guiding acquisitions of resources and effective deployment of CSL staff expertise to achieve these goals.
- Provide information and advice on library matters to the State Board of Education, Commissioner, Deputy Commissioner, CDE Cabinet, and other organizations in Colorado.
- Be a representative for the state library and library programs in education, government, citizen, and community initiatives to foster a better understanding for the role of local libraries and the CSL in furthering statewide goals for education, career, technology use, information access, and learning for all ages.
- Collaboratively facilitate the development of, communication about, and guidance for ideas and programs within the library community to assure improved access to information and resources by the public.
- In cooperation with CDE and CSL fiscal leaders, prepare and defend a budget that assures full legal compliance with state and federal (IMLS) funding rules and procedures.
- Answer questions about the CSL's programs and the Talking Book Library and/or State Publications Libraries when requested by the Governor's Office, Legislature, or the public.
- Work closely with the Colorado Association of Libraries, the Colorado Library Consortium (CLiC) staff and Board, and other library consortia and organizations that currently exist or may be created to further library and learning goals in Colorado.
- Help to ensure that public and school libraries are working together with the K-12 community to support CDE's strategic plan initiatives, specifically All Means All and Strong Foundations. Determine areas for further collaboration in support of early literacy initiatives.
- Participate in and attend national association conferences, including, but not limited to ALA, PLA, COSLA, and the Western Council of State Librarians.
Other Duties as Assigned
Additional Info & Requirements
Minimum Qualifications, Substitutions, Conditions of Employment & Appeal Rights
Competency and Qualifications
- Work experience that demonstrates knowledge of all types of library settings.
- Demonstrated ability to articulate, strategically implement, and continually evaluate a vision for libraries.
- Demonstrated commitment to PK-12 education and lifelong learning.
- Proven experience in supervising staff, including direct-report staff who supervise other staff.
- Proven ability to articulate an understanding of libraries' role and future trends in the learning process and as assets for community growth and civility.
- Collaborative leadership style and demonstrated success in team-based decision-making, project management, and working across organizations to meet a goal.
- Ability and willingness to travel in and out of state.
- Ability to pass a background check.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Competencies
- Completes required training regarding EDI and ensures direct reports do the same. Encourages additional learning and reflection related to these topics and models these actions.
- Allows employees reasonable work time to participate in CDE learning groups.
- Explores potential underlying, unquestioned assumptions that interfere with equity, diversity, and inclusiveness; respectfully brings to light areas of opportunities to improve, both individually and systemically.
- Offers equitable and inclusive access to growth and leadership development, education and training opportunities, mentoring opportunities, and other resources.
- Takes swift and appropriate action(s) to stop any discrimination, harassment, and/or microaggressions when discovered, consulting Human Resources as appropriate.
- Ensures that all personnel practices and procedures, including training, hiring, promotion, and individual development/competency plans, are applied equitably and in compliance with CDE's policies.
The duties and responsibilities for employees that supervise staff include, but are not limited to the following:
- Models and ensures consistency with organizational values and policies.
- Clearly communicates expectations and standards to staff.
- Conducts timely performance management of staff including formal evaluations, ongoing and routine feedback, and holding staff accountable.
- Awareness and approval of employee time worked and work schedules. This includes approval of time worked for payroll and monitoring and approval of all work schedules including remote work and flex schedules, based upon CDE's policies.
- Provides the applicable tools and resources staff require to perform their job.
- Supervision of CSL units, including; CTBL, State Publications, NRS, LRS, Institutions, Fiscal/Grant Management, and Leadership/Professional Development.
Minimum Education Requirements:
A Master's degree from an institution accredited by the American Library Association (ALA) (or equivalent experience) and at least seven years of progressively responsible library experience, five of which shall have been in administrative positions (24-90-104 (3) CRS) in large library-related organizations such as a state library, library, other consortia or the equivalent.
How to Apply:
Applicants MUST submit a resume and cover letter attached to the online application. Applications left blank or marked "See Resume" will not be accepted.
Complete Applications must include the following documents:
- A cover letter (attach to your online application).
- A resume (attach to your online application).
Only complete applications submitted by the closing date for this announcement will be given consideration.
The State of Colorado believes that equity, diversity, and inclusion drive our success, and we encourage candidates from all identities, backgrounds, and abilities to apply. The State of Colorado is an equal opportunity employer committed to building inclusive, innovative work environments with employees who reflect our communities and enthusiastically serve them. Therefore, in all aspects of the employment process, we provide employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, a medical condition related to pregnancy, creed, ancestry, national origin, marital status, genetic information, or military status (with preference given to military veterans), or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law.
The Colorado Department of Education is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, our agency will assist individuals who have a disability with any reasonable accommodation requests related to employment, including completing the application process, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, participating in the employee selection process, and/or to perform essential job functions where the requested accommodation does not impose an undue hardship. If you have a disability and require reasonable accommodation to ensure you have a positive experience applying or interviewing for this position, please direct your inquiries to our ADAAA Coordinator, Jessica Martella Human_Resources@cde.state.co.us or call 303-866-6600.
Kay Blunt BS, HRM
Human Resources Specialist
P. 303.866.6367 / firstname.lastname@example.org