CITY OF FORT MORGAN JOB DESCRIPTION
LIBRARY and MUSEUM ASSISTANT I – CIRCULATION
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
SALARY GRADE: 600
DIVISION: Community Services
DEPARTMENT: Library & Museum Services
SUPERVISOR: Director of Library & Museum Services
APPROVED BY: Human Resources
Under the general supervision of the Director of Library & Museum Services, responsible to assure the Circulation Desk is always tended and that patron needs are met. Checks out, returns materials and renews them. Provides information such as location of various items. Issues new patron cards, collects fines for damaged/lost materials and assists in re-shelving materials. Assists patrons in Library use and book selection. Assists patrons with public computer use. Position also assists Museum Services as called upon.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Responsible for checking out and in Library materials, renewing them, and organizing items on carts before they are re-shelved.
• Assists patrons in Library use and book selection, using AspenCat, the integrated library system.
• Creates and oversees the library circulation staff schedule.
• Oversees the use of the public computers, including sign-in, copies, and computer policy compliance. Assists patrons with finding information on the Internet.
• Answers the circulation desk phone.
• Issues new patrons’ cards. Enters all pertinent information into computer database.
• Collects fines for damaged/lost materials.
• Responsible for ordering materials in specific segments of the Library collection.
• Responsible for sorting and distributing incoming mail.
• Keeps newspapers current, available, and properly archived.
• Assists in providing quality library services to the community with emphasis on circulation services through general public relation skills and good communication skills.
• Assists in the selection of, delivery and pick-up of library materials to homebound or institutionalized residents of Ft. Morgan.
• Assists Museum staff and volunteers with customer service, retail sales and display maintenance.
• Assists in collection development of library materials.
• Responsible for ordering, unpacking and shelving of IRS forms.
• Assists Interlibrary Loan Service.
• Maintains and updates new books/Best Seller’s list.
• Assists with programming
• Responsible for money drawer and collection of fines and fees.
• Other duties as assigned.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES None.
Education and/or Experience:
• High school diploma or GED required.
• Previous library experience is preferred.
• Knowledge of books and authors from personal reading.
• Experience working with the public of all ages.
• Computer experience
Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
Ability to express ideas clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing. Ability to effectively present information to other employees of the organization.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out written or oral instructions.
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES
• Ability to deal tactfully and courteously with the public and patrons of all ages in pleasant and unpleasant situations.
• Possess some knowledge of library principals, methods and procedures.
• Experience with computers, including Windows-based systems, Polaris and other Library automation programs are desirable.
• Ability to operate standard office equipment, including telephone with multiple lines and extensions, photocopy machine and postage meter.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff and promote teamwork.
• Ability to work nights and weekends.
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
Additional Info & Requirements
Letter of interest and resume are required.
Director of Human Resources & Risk Management