Northern Kentucky University
Highland Heights, KY
Purpose of Position:
The W. Frank Steely Library at Northern Kentucky University seeks a collaborative, visionary, and service-oriented individual to lead Collections and Discovery Services. This newly-formed, tenure-track faculty position is responsible for re-invigorating collections to meet the curriculum needs of all academic departments, both print and electronic as a result of increased financial support for the library. The position will be responsible for supervising faculty and staff, defining departmental goals, developing systematic assessment measures, refining workflows, and fostering an environment of collegiality, respect, and teamwork. Collections and Discovery Services includes acquisitions, cataloging, and discovery of print and e-resources, including special collections, university archives, records management, and government documents. The individual will also oversee the library’s resource management system, licensing, and budget monitoring. The position will play an active role in cultivating resources for diversity, inclusion, and equity to first generation, historically marginalized and underrepresented students. This position serves on the Library’s leadership team and will contribute to the development and implementation of the Library’s vision and goals. Successful candidates may be hired at the assistant or associate professor rank. The W. Frank Steely Library provides a wide range of library services to support the University’s commitment to its Success by Design strategic framework, which promotes student success by embracing inclusiveness, equity, global awareness, and academic needs of students and faculty in each academic college. Library faculty and staff have enhanced traditional services to better address 21st century information needs and are collaborative partners across campus. The library’s twenty faculty members and fourteen staff members are leading the implementation of NKU’s campus-wide Quality Enhancement Plan on Information Literacy and newly created digital repository, and offering an online Bachelor’s degree in library informatics. NKU is a public comprehensive university located in the Northern Kentucky/Cincinnati, Ohio metropolitan area. The university delivers innovative, learner-centered education and engages in impactful scholarly and creative activities, all of which empower students for fulfilling careers and meaningful lives while contributing to the social and economic vitality of the region. NKU has almost 14,000 students, over 2,000 faculty and staff. It offers 79 undergraduate degree programs, master’s degrees in 21 disciplines, graduate certificates in 15 areas, two doctoral programs, a law degree, and in a partnership with the University of Kentucky and St. Elizabeth Hospital opened a medical school in the fall of 2019.
Leadership and Supervision
• Supervises and leads a team of librarians and staff in the Collections and Discovery Services Department, including special collections, university archives, records management, government documents, and the general collection.
• Develops and leads evidence-based collection assessment processes to analyze, acquire, and evaluate the alignment of library content and services with the teaching and learning mission of the university.
• Monitors budget allocations and ensures effective stewardship of a $2.3M library acquisitions budget.
• Collaborates with colleagues to ensure that library collections are discoverable and accessible.
• Oversees license agreements with content vendors using industry standards.
• Works with faculty and staff to maintain an efficient workflow for ordering and renewal in accordance with spending priorities.
• Produces analyses, data visualizations, and reports including regular budget updates with respect to fiscal-year targets.
• Investigates and recommends policies, procedures, and best practices for collection management processes that advance diversity, inclusion, and equity.
Liaison Responsibilities and Organizational Leadership
• Engages with campus stakeholders on issues related to collections.
• Collaborates with state-wide consortium to develop shared collections and explore issues, challenges, and opportunities related to cooperative collection development.
• Coordinates engagement and communication with vendors. Other
• Contributes to research tutoring and consultations.
• Other duties as assigned. Service and Scholarship
• Participates in Library and campus-wide committees and NKU faculty governance.
• Participates in scholarship and creative activity in order to meet expectations for faculty at NKU.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Knowledge of current and emerging trends and technologies related to library services and higher education.
• Understanding of scholarly communication and the evolving publishing ecosystem, including the open access movement.
• Exemplary interpersonal and communication skills.
• Ability to work successfully in a highly collaborative environment and to prioritize various projects and departmental initiatives.
• Ability to assess collections.
• Demonstrated commitment to training and professional development/achievement of faculty and staff especially in the area of collection management and accessibility.
• Master’s degree from an ALA accredited library or information science program or an ALA approved foreign equivalent.
• Demonstrated experience with collection development and/or technical services in an academic or research library.
• Supervisory experience and/or evidence of the ability to be an effective team leader who fosters an inclusive, efficient, and collegial workplace. Preferred Qualifications
• Experience with and/or knowledge of collections assessment.
• Demonstrated understanding of project management skills.
• Experience with and/or knowledge of resource licensing.
• Demonstrated use of WorldShare Management Services or similar library management system.
Applications submitted by July 21, 2021 will receive full consideration.
Although the position will remain posted until filled, applicants are strongly encouraged to apply by end of day on July 21, 2021.
External Job Ad