LIBRARY SPECIALIST Mobile Library Services
Location: Koelbel Library, 5955 S. Holly Street, Centennial, CO 80121
Reports to: Manager
Position: Full-time, non-exempt 40 hours per week. Flexibility to work evenings and weekends
Pay: $16.54 - $20.65
Role: Assists patrons in the use of the library by delivering outstanding and personalized service at remote locations.
Purpose: Welcome and assist patrons in the use of the library by delivering outstanding, inclusive service at remote locations and by keeping current on internal communications and library offerings in order to connect patrons with the appropriate resources.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
50% PATRON ASSISTANCE
- Greets all library visitors and provides proactive assistance to patrons in a variety of settings in the community including the bookmobile and assisted living facilities
- Provides personalized advisory services to patrons
- Assists with home delivery and books by mail services to patrons throughout the community
- Assists patrons with library account inquiries
- Assists patrons with basic reference questions
- Connects patrons with other library staff as needed
- Promotes and supports library resources, including implementing programs and events
- Listens to patron feedback and shares through appropriate channels
- Sets expectations for library use, de-escalates and resolves patron concerns
- Straightens and cleans up library space to provide a welcoming experience
- Assists patrons with basic technology and troubleshooting questions, including assistance with tablets, phones and other devices
- Assists patrons with library technology offerings, such as e-books and online databases
- Troubleshoots library technology and equipment, such as printers or other devices
- Connects patrons with other library staff as needed for intermediate and advanced technology needs
25% MATERIAL PROCESSING
- Helps manage library materials collection
- Processes and shelves library materials and patron holds
- Loads and unloads book carts and boxes at various locations
- Merchandizes library materials and maintains library displays
- Drives Library District vehicles to service sites
- Checks for safety and serviceability by completing inspection check lists
- Safely operates vehicles by observing traffic regulations and fueling vehicles as needed
- Complies with Department of Transportation rules and regulations for commercial vehicles including drug and alcohol testing.
10% LEARNING AND DEVELOPMENT:
- Keeps current on new library resources, trends, technology and offerings
- Takes initiative to consistently update skills to effectively assist patrons
- Keeps up to date on internal communication and information to effectively assist patrons and co-workers
- Promotes positive relationships with co-workers and collaborates with others to meet the needs of staff and patrons
- Provides ongoing and regular feedback and observations to supervisors
Performs other related duties as assigned and requested
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- May help design and create crafts for patron use
- May assist with Mobile Library Services events and programs
- May participate in summer reading preparation
- May participate in coordinating volunteers
- May participate in the creation of displays
- Two years customer service, library or education/teaching experience
- Ability to work with varying demographics, including international cultures
- Valid Driver's License with an acceptable driving record which meets district standards
- Current Commercial Driver's License (CDL), or valid Colorado driver's license and ability to obtain a CDL within six weeks of hire
- Ability to successfully pass post-offer physical and drug screens for CDL maintenance
- Ability to work in a confined environment with fluctuating temperatures
- Ability to work varying shifts, including evenings and weekends
- Intermediate technology skills, such as file management, file sharing, word processing, internet and website navigation, etc.
- Ability to demonstrate curiosity in the vast technological and online resources the library has to offer and comfortable learning side by side with patrons.
- Ability to communicate new ideas, products and services in a positive and engaging manner.
- Demonstrate enthusiasm for an environment of constant change.
- Ability to work with people of all ages and diverse backgrounds
- Ability to provide intermediate advisory services to patrons in all collection formats and genres, and advanced advisory services in one area of choice
- Ability to adhere to the core values of public libraries, including equity of access, privacy and intellectual freedom.
- Ability to adhere to 7 values: innovation, inclusivity, collaboration, learning, compassion, resilience and listening
- Bachelor's degree
- Experience driving large sized, non-standard vehicles
- Fluency in conversational Spanish language
- Ability to work in a confined environment with fluctuating temperatures, required
- Moderate noise (vehicle engines, computers, phones, printers and patron interactions)
- Ability to work both inside and outside in all types of inclement weather conditions
Physical activities required to perform essential duties include:
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position 25-50% of the time
- Must be able to move around 50-75% of the time
- Ability to lift up to 40 lbs.
- Ability to carry up to 20 lbs.
- Ability to push and pull a cart weighing up to 100 lbs.
- Ability to kneel, crouch, reach and stoop 75% of the time
- Use of hands, fingers, and grasping of books, DVD's are required, with repetitive motion
- Long periods of sitting, remaining stationary, or moving around
- Lifting above your waist, head etc., up to 10 lbs.
- Ability to be mobile 100% of the time and sit as needed; ability to bend, stoop, reach, and push a loaded wheeled book truck weighing up to 100 pounds, 10% of the time, required
This job description describes the general level of work being performed and is not necessarily an all-inclusive list of job-related responsibilities, duties or aspects associated with the job, and may be amended anytime based on business need. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
Inclusion and diversity are part of our values at Arapahoe Libraries. Qualified applicants who represent the diversities of the communities we serve are encouraged to apply.
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
Health, Dental, Vision Insurance, Life and Disability Program, Retirement Plan, Time off programs (Vacation, Holiday, Personal, Sick)
Established in 1966, the Arapahoe Library District serves more than 200,000 residents living in Arapahoe County. Arapahoe County and other major suburban counties make up the greater metropolitan area surrounding Denver, Colorado. The Arapahoe Library District operates eight branch libraries, including mobile library services, and a library at the County Detention Center, funded by the Arapahoe County Sheriff's Department. A seven-member Board of Trustees sets the library budget and determines policy.
APPLY ONLINE at http://arapahoelibraries.applicantpro.com/jobs/ and select the position you are interested in. Click on “Apply Now” and create a login that will allow you to submit interest for any open position. You may also attach a resum