Under the supervision of the Director, a Manager is responsible for the leadership and administration of a specific department. As a member of senior management, a manager assists with the development and implementation of responsive and innovative library service.
The current Library Manager position is open within the Programming and Outreach department. The Urbandale Library is seeking an innovative, community-focused team leader who is enthusiastic about providing quality programs to our patrons. You will plan, organize, and implement programming for adults and community outreach events. This position provides high-level oversight to the department regarding the development of programming for children and teens. You will also manage the library’s external communications, including our library website, social media, press releases, and advertising.
Routine Job Duties/Responsibilities
The job description is intended to represent only the key areas of responsibilities; specific position assignments will vary depending on the specific department’s needs within the Library.
- Partners with the director and senior management to provide quality collections, programs, services, and spaces.
- Participates in the formulation, implementation, and evaluation of policies, procedures, and strategic goals and objectives.
- Hires, trains, supervises, schedules, and evaluates department staff.
- Leads the development, implementation, and revision of department procedures, services, and activities.
- Provides direction and assistance to staff in performing department functions.
- Attends department, senior management, and full staff meetings.
- Compiles department records and prepares reports.
- Maintains knowledge of current and future library practices, trends, and technologies.
- Participates in professional associations, meetings, and continuing education opportunities.
- Attends safety training.
- Works at a service desk when scheduled, performing all service assistant duties.
- Performs additional duties and projects as assigned.
For this current opening the Library Manager duties will fall under the Programming and Outreach department. More specific job duties for the department are listed below:
Department Specific Duties/Responsibilities:
Programming and Outreach
- Develops, coordinates, and implements informational and entertaining programs for adults and special events for all ages.
- Provides general oversight of the development and delivery of children’s and teen library programs.
- Manages a public relations program which creates awareness, promotes utilization, and garners support of collections, programs, and services.
- Coordinates outreach programs and services.
- Recommends, allocates, and monitors the advertising and programming budgets.
- Updates and manages the website.
- Maintains presence on social media sites.
Applicants must answer the following questions:
1. Please describe your experience with planning, organizing, and implementing events for adults.
2. How would you describe your management / supervision style?
3. How do you see the Programming and Outreach Manager position relating to the overall goals and operations of the library?