Position Summary: While enjoying the best views of the Pikes Peak region, oversees the daily operations of a regional library, with a staffing level of approximately 50 employees. Provides responsive, flexible and swift customer-focused services, while balancing the needs of patrons from all over El Paso County. Serves as a supportive team member to other library locations and services in the District. Manages services ranging from microfilm to laser cutters. Provides access to specialized resources to families learning at home with the Educational Resource Center. Supports high volume circulation operations, including maintaining the largest physical collection in the District. East Library is a lively hub in central Colorado Springs. Manager serves as the face of PPLD for the local residents and organizations.
Functions listed are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- Directs daily operations for a large library in a region. Schedules and supervises staff either directly or indirectly.
- Provides leadership, guidance, and training to library staff. Provides coaching and corrective action as necessary for staff at all levels. Conducts performance reviews.
- Interviews, selects and develops new staff.
- Provides excellent direct customer service and acts as a role model for library staff; presents a courteous, positive image of the library and maintains confidentiality in customer and staff interactions.
- Oversees region operations in the absence of the Director of the Region.
- Acts as a liaison to Services and Administration staff located in the branch.
- Works with the Director of the Region and appropriate Director of Services to coordinate programming at the library that is responsive to community needs.
- Promotes library services through programming, outreach and partnerships within the community. Represents the Library at meetings and community events.
- Provides regular updates regarding community demographics and information needs; provides input to the Director of the Region and library leadership for the implementation of PPLD strategic goals and objectives.
- In consultation with the Director of the Region, reviews workload statistics and recommends staffing allocations.
- Provides input to annual budget requests; prepares payment documents and monitors expenditures for assigned projects.
- Develops, documents and implements operating procedures for library staff; communicates and ensures implementation of Pikes Peak Library District policies.
- Works as needed on public service desks providing reference and readers advisory service in person, over the phone and via electronic delivery.
- Responds to customer suggestions, comments and complaints in a timely, professional, and constructive manner.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
Duties are considered non-essential and include the following:
- Prepares monthly activity reports.
- Keeps informed about Library and department information.
- Manages the library collection in coordination with Collection Management and the Director of the Region.
- Serves as a liaison to the Friends.
- Participates in special projects as assigned, including new service initiatives, grants or programs.
- Serves on district-wide teams.
- May serve on local, state and national committees; takes an active role in library professional organizations.
- Attends regular department meetings and scheduled all-staff meetings.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The employee is expected to perform or possess the following:
- Thorough knowledge of the Pikes Peak Library District’s policies and procedures and ability to follow them.
- Ability to act as an ambassador of Pikes Peak Library District by promoting its mission and vision to the public.
- Demonstrates thorough knowledge of library services, innovative trends and best practices.
- Ability to exhibit leadership, sound judgment and professional demeanor in all situations; thinks and acts appropriately under pressure.
- Ability to supervise, plan, and coordinate the work of staff in order to accomplish library goals and objectives.
- Demonstrates excellent public speaking and presentation skills.
- Demonstrates excellent verbal and written communication skills; maintains effective relationships within the department, with staff at all levels, community partners and the public at large.
- Ability to effectively use applications software, including Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, and Outlook, the Pikes Peak Library District Integrated Library System, along with standard office equipment.
- Ability to work effectively as a team member, organize daily work and meet deadlines in a fast-paced, detail-rich environment.
Education and Experience:
1. Requires a Master’s degree in library science (MLS or MLIS).
2. Requires a minimum of five years of professional public library experience.
3. Requires a minimum of three years of supervisor experience.
4. Experience maintaining the budget and daily operations for a large library facility (50,000 square feet) and with over 40 direct and indirect reports or more preferred.
5. One year of professional librarian experience preferred.
6. Bilingual ability is a plus in serving a diverse community.
Physical and Environmental Conditions:
Work is primarily conducted in an office setting that provides comfortable lighting, temperature and air conditions. Position requires the ability to sit and use a computer or standard office equipment for extended periods. Position requires the ability to stand for extended periods of time. Position requires the ability to occasionally reach, bend, climb, twist and squat. Position requires the ability to lift up to 35 pounds. Position requires the ability to push a loaded book truck.
Work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts that require normal safety precautions typical of such places as offices or meeting rooms, e.g. use of safe work place practices with office equipment, and/or avoidance of trips and falls and observance of fire regulations.
LIBRARY MANAGER 3 - EAST LIBRARY
(40 hours per week, exempt) - Position # 250431401
LOCATION: 5550 N Union Blvd., Colorado Springs, CO 80918
STARTING WAGE: $29.00 per hour - $36.30 per hour + full benefits (for benefits information, please see: http://ppld.org/jobs/benefits)
POSITION HOURS: 40 hours per week with the following schedule:
Monday-Thursday : variable hours between 8 a.m.-9 p.m.
Friday or Saturday : variable hours
Sunday rotation as needed.
Note: Regular schedule may be subject to minor changes due to required meetings, training events, etc. Also, management may require modifications to a position’s schedule, days, times and locations at any time as the needs of the Library District change.
1. Complete a PPLD online application located at ppld.org/Jobs at the Application Tab
2. Attachments should be submitted online in the following file types: .doc, .docx, .xls, .xlsx, .pdf, .htm
3. Requires resume and cover letter. Applications will not be considered without a resume and cover letter.
4. If you require an accommodation to complete your job application, please contact the Human Resources Office at (719) 531 - 6333, ext. 6380 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
CLOSING DATE: Preference for application materials received by August 16, 2021 at 9:59 p.m. MDT
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
All selected candidates…
- are required to complete a Department of Homeland Security I-9 Form at the time of hire and must be able to provide acceptable documentation in order to verify his/her legal right to be employed in the U.S. (pursuant to the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986). Pikes Peak Library District participates in E-Verify.
- are subject to a full reference and background investigation including verification of identification (including verification of Social Security number using USCIS E-Verify), education, former employment, and criminal history.
- may be uniformly tested for job-related skills and required physical abilities.
- may be required to undergo a physical examination after a job offer is extended in order to ensure that the job’s physical requirements are met.
- must understand and comply with PPLD’s drug-free workplace policy.
- understand and agree that they have been hired at the will of the employer and that employment may be terminated at any time, with or without reason, and with or without notice.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Pikes Peak Library District does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, pregnancy, sexual orientation including gender expression, military status, or any other status protected by law or regulation. It is our intention that all qualified applicants are given equal opportunity and that selection decisions be based on job-related factors. The library reserves the right to hire more than one person per advertised vacancy.
Additional Info & Requirements
please apply via ppld.org/jobs --> Application tab
Colorado Springs, located at the foot of Pikes Peak, is a diverse community with excellent opportunities for education, culture, and outdoor activities. It offers great weather averaging 245 days of sunshine annually. It is the mission of the Pikes Peak Library District to seek, engage, and transform through library services and resources that enrich individual lives and build community.
External Job Ad
Soumya Gollapalli : email@example.com