Research and Instruction Librarian, Bryant University, Smithfield, RI
The Research and Instruction Librarian reports to the Manager of Research and Instruction Services and is responsible for providing customer service oriented, accurate and effective library resource guidance, and information literacy instruction to the university community. This is a full-time position, working 40 hours per week, with excellent health benefits.
The position requires a flexible schedule that follows the academic calendar and includes evening and weekend hours. Weekly schedule will be Sunday through Thursday and will include evening shifts, specific hours to be determined. Adjustments to the schedule may be made to support library operations during winter intersession and summer semesters.
1. Provide expert, user-centered reference and research services through in-person and electronic communication (i.e. email, text, instant message).
2. Design, implement, and evaluate information literacy instruction to promote critical thinking and create independent researchers and to facilitate the use of library resources and services to the community (students, faculty, staff and alumni) through effective classroom lessons, active learning workshops, library orientations, participation in the personal librarian program and university-wide outreach.
3. Create and manage course materials and curriculum to support information literacy instruction, including the use of course management software and the development of online learning objects such as research guides, multimedia tutorials, and videos.
4. Expand library outreach and programs for student engagement.
5. Serve as subject liaison and collections development selector for assigned subject areas through the preparation of online subject guides, faculty outreach, and related special projects.
6. Perform Borrower Services functions (i.e. borrowing and lending) as needed, participate in opening/closing of the library building as scheduled and field library operations issues when on duty as the sole member of administrative staff.
7. Perform other duties as directed.
This position is best filled by an energetic, innovative, flexible and highly motivated individual with an ALA accredited Master of Library Science degree (or MLIS degree in progress), experience with reference services, and a strong interest in teaching and commitment to student learning. The ability to work independently and in a team environment with faculty, students, administrators and library personnel at all levels is critical. Excellent oral and written communication skills are a must. Knowledge of library trends and standards, including critical pedagogy, instructional design, and instructional technology, experience with current electronic resources and programs, and comfort with social media and emerging technologies are imperative. Outstanding work ethic, strong commitment to high touch, client-centered services and adaptability/flexibility required. The library promotes diversity and inclusion and seeks candidates committed to equity and justice.
Qualities and characteristics:
· Ability to develop credibility and trust with a wide range of constituent groups to be a successful resource to the Bryant campus community, students and families.
· Demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills to build and maintain relationships.
· Demonstrate flexibility and the ability to handle multiple priorities.
· Strong written and oral communication skills.
· Open and responsive to direction and feedback.
· Demonstrated ability to maintain composure, solve problems creatively and respond to questions and concerns in a timely and supportive manner.
Certain requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
Bryant University recognizes that its position as a leader in higher education is greatly determined both by the diversity of its campus community and its intellectual endeavors. Its commitment to link academic and social diversity for the benefit of the learning and living environment reflects its belief that excellence and diversity are mutually reinforcing objectives. We are committed to building an equitable and inclusive campus community, one that values individual difference and fosters greater understanding of the many facets of diversity and other distinctive characteristics that make us different. We encourage applications from candidates with an appreciation for and understanding of diverse backgrounds and experiences. Learn more about our ongoing commitment to building a community of inclusive excellence.
To apply please visit: https://employment.bryant.edu/postings/2580
External Job Ad