Job Title: Library Assistant
Reports To: Library Manager
Department: Public Services
Location: Council Tree Library
FLSA Status: Non-exempt, part-time 20 hours per week
Job Classification: Classified
Benefits: Classified Benefits Summary
Hiring Range: $19.76 - $22.23 per hour
Revision Date: 07-2021
Summary: The Library Assistant performs a variety of customer contact duties including actively assisting customers find and use library materials, and maintaining a welcoming, accessible library space. Provides information assistance and readers’ advisory to customers. Provides programming and/or programming support. Exhibits superior service to all library customers while performing all work duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Provides pro-active, courteous, efficient service to library customers. Greets and acknowledges customers and provides assistance as needed.
- Demonstrates respect, courtesy and professionalism in all customer interactions.
- Demonstrates tactful and conscientious service to people of all ages, races, abilities, cultures and genders.
- Helps to maintain safety, security and healthy environments in the library. Responds to facility hazards and emergencies according to protocols.
- Maintains tidiness in public spaces and within collections.
- Assists customers with information seeking, navigation of collections and other information resources including digital resources.
- Provides customer assistance with computer use and digital technologies including tablets, printers, scanners and projectors. Provides assistance with digital file management including uploading and downloading files.
- Provides readers’ advisory.
- Circulates the library floor regularly while performing other work duties in order to proactively assist customers.
- Participates in training and continuing education as needed.
- May participate in library teams, committees and other project-based groups.
- Creates and manages relevant and attractive displays of library materials.
- May oversee and direct the work of volunteers.
- Shelves library materials as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Must communicate effectively and tactfully with a diverse population.
- Must possess superior customer service experience and skills.
- Previous library experience and/or retail experience strongly preferred.
- Requires ability to resolve customer complaints and handle difficult and / or emergency situations involving customers.
- Experience and skills in adult, teen and/or children’s literature and media preferred.
- Ability to use a variety of computer technologies and applications including Internet, email, file management and digital applications.
- Ability to operate and perform basic troubleshooting of digital tools including PCs, tablets, keyboards, printers and connecting cables.
- Ability to provide clear guidance and appropriate help to customers with technology-based questions and needs.
- Ability to creatively solve problems, negotiate and handle stressful situations in a positive manner.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
High school diploma required. Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university is preferred. One to two years related library or retail experience or equivalent combination of education and experience required.
Ability to read and speak English fluently is required. Ability to read and interpret documents such as emails, procedures, graphics and informational articles required. Ability to write routine reports and email correspondence required. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization required. Fluency in Spanish is highly desirable. Fluency in a language other than English is desirable.
Certificates and Licenses:
Valid driver’s license required.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed and/or required to:
- Work primarily in a public library environment and sometimes in community settings.
- The demands on the visual sense are very high.
- Regularly sit, stand, walk, use hands to handle or feel, lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, talk and hear.
- Regularly reach, lift and move arms above shoulder level.
- Occasionally push moveable carts weighing up to 250 pounds.
- Occasionally lift and/or move materials weighing up to 30 pounds.
- Occasionally bend, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl climb or balance.
- Concentrate on and complete tasks in the presence of distractions.
- Regularly operate a variety of standard office equipment including a computer, laptop and/or tablet PC, telephone, e-reader, calculator, cash register, bar code reader, copy and fax machines.
- Continuous and repetitive arm, hand and eye movement.
- Moderate to loud noise levels.
- Travel to/from meetings and various locations.
- Work a varied schedule at various locations, including weekends and evenings.
Apply online only at https://poudrelibraries.org/jobs or
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
Benefits: Classified Benefits Summary
Located in northern Colorado, Fort Collins is home to Colorado State University and an outstanding public school system.
Nestled at the base of the Rocky Mountains, Fort Collins offers exciting recreational opportunities, unique cultural offerings, and is a regional center for employment and shopping.
Throughout the year, live music and entertainment, as well as great local dining, can be found throughout the historic downtown area. Fort Collins offers the convenience of a small town with all the amenities of a larger city.
If you are seeking the Colorado lifestyle and a community in which you can reinvent and reinvigorate yourself then Fort Collins is your city.
For more information, please visit the City of Fort Collins website: http://www.fcgov.com/visitor/
External Job Ad
Human Resources / Job Listings
Apply online only. NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE.