Clear Creek County Library District
Clear Creek County - Georgetown and Idaho Springs Branches
The Library Assistant — Programs is an integral member of the Clear Creek County Library District Team, providing support for library programs such as storytimes, book clubs, craft sessions, games, movie nights, parties, Summer Reading, and more, as well as performing general customer service and administrative duties relating to library services. We seek a positive, friendly, and responsible individual who enjoys helping others and connecting with members of our community. Children make up the majority of our program participants, so the ability to work with and relate to young children, youth, and their caregivers is essential to this position.
- Must pass a background check (after the offer to hire has been made)
- Ability to work in both Idaho Springs and Georgetown
- Flexibility to work mornings, nights, and weekends
- Computer/tech fluency
- One year of library or relevant work experience
- Other duties as assigned.
- Contributing to general library upkeep, in order to maintain clean and welcoming library spaces.
- Assisting with the organization of book sales, as directed by the Friends of the Library groups.
- Designing library displays to engage patrons and regularly update them to showcase new materials, relevant topics, and current events.
- Assisting with book accessioning by applying book covers, stamps, and date due slips, as instructed by the collection management team.
- Ensuring shelves are maintained in an orderly and organized manner through regular shelf reading.
- Returning materials to shelves accurately and in a timely manner.
- Referring patrons to library databases and additional resources as necessary.
- Conducting internet and print searches in order to provide patrons with accurate information.
- Assisting patrons in locating and selecting materials and in researching information, both in print and online.
- Assisting patrons in the use of computers, devices, equipment, copier/fax machine, and the library catalog.
- Handling the duties of the circulation desk, such as but not limited to checking materials in/out, issuing and/or renewing library cards, maintaining attendance statistics, requesting/loaning materials from/to other libraries via InterLibrary Loan, reserving the meeting room, registering patrons for programs, enforcing the code of conduct and collecting fines, if necessary.
- Providing all patrons with excellent customer service in order to consistently deliver a positive library experience, in person, over the phone, and in email correspondence.
- Assisting with the Storyfish: cleaning aquariums and monitoring fish safety.
- Assisting with, or independently facilitating, program completion: cleaning after programming and events, and putting away materials.
- Assisting with, or independently facilitating, program implementation: monitoring supplies and putting out more as needed, helping patrons, immediately addressing or notifying your supervisors of any safety issues noticed, and tracking statistics.
- Assisting with, or independently facilitating, program set-up: setting up tables, putting out program materials (this can include carrying bins of supplies for short distances), decorating, simple food preparation, and directing young patrons who want to help.
- Assisting with, or independently facilitating, in-person programs.
- Providing support during virtual programs as needed (e.g. attending programs and assisting patrons with basic Google Meets needs, such as showing them how to turn their microphone off and on, etc.).
- Program Preparation — following directions/patterns to prepare materials for crafts/activities, packing take-and-make kits, creating program promotion materials (flyers, decorations, displays, etc.), assisting with mailings, and pulling books requested for programs.
- Assisting with programs and the preparation of them, as directed by the Program Coordinator.
Computer experience and a minimum of one (1) year of job-related experience: customer service, public service, administrative or clerical experience involving public contact.
A minimum of two (2) years of experience working in a library environment. Direct experience working with children in a childcare, educational, or library setting. Previous experience working with diverse populations.
High school diploma/GED.
Attention to detail, customer service techniques, ability to deal with stressful situations with tact and diplomacy, ability to receive direction and constructive feedback, and use of general office equipment. Requires a level of independent judgment and initiative to accomplish tasks and solve problems in a consistent, accurate, and innovative manner and in a variety of situations.
Work may include walking, standing, bending, lifting, keyboarding, speaking loudly (during some programs), and fine motor movement (e.g. cutting out craft supplies). Hearing voice conversation is essential to safe and effective job performance. Clear Creek County Library District provides reasonable job-related accommodations for those with differing abilities.
Work is primarily performed in an office environment with shared workspaces and equipment. Shifts may include days, nights, weekends, or occasional holidays.
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
Competitive part-time benefits.
Additional Info & Requirements
Please apply by August 22.
Located in the mountains just 20 miles west of Denver along the I-70 corridor, Clear Creek County includes the historic mountain communities of Idaho Springs, Dumont, Downieville, Lawson, Empire, Georgetown, Silver Plume, and a portion of Evergreen. A haven for history buffs and outdoor enthusiasts alike, Clear Creek County has something for everyone: skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, ice fishing, hiking, rafting, mountain biking, museums, local breweries, and convenient proximity to Denver and the Front Range communities. Our Library District serves the county-wide population of 9,000+ people via two community library locations and our Archives Library.
External Job Ad
Please send a cover letter and resume, including three references. Applications are accepted by email - email@example.com.