Summary of Job Duties
Salary to be commensurate with experience.
The salary range for this position is $15.25 - $23.83
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and overall employee well-being programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation work spaces
The Library and Cultural Services Departments vision is to empower an environment of lifelong learning and cultural enrichment by stimulating learning and literacy, inspiring creativity, and integrating arts, culture and history into the lives of Aurorans. We have two divisions within the department: Library and Cultural Services, both offering a variety of free programs and services to the community.
- 6 locations
- Books, CDs, DVDs, magazines
- Database and language learning programs
- Public computers
- Study space
- Retirement centers and community events and programs or activities for all ages
- Aurora History Museum
- Aurora Fox Theater
- Bicentennial Arts Center
- The Show Wagon
- Art in Public Places collection (over 240 commissioned pieces around the city)
This position will be spending 20 hours a week at the Aurora Central Library, based in the Reference Services department, and 20 hours a week driving/working on the Library Bookmobile. This position would be scheduled every Saturday. Job duties and location subject to change based on Reference or Bookmobile needs.
The City of Aurora will conduct ongoing screenings of applications on a first-come, first-serve basis; as soon as we determine to have a qualified pool of applicants, this position may close quickly and without notice.
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist patrons with materials/content, including physical books/AV materials, e-content, and tech devices.
- Provides references and information by interpreting needs expressed by patron, using interviewing techniques, and directing patron to appropriate materials.
- Support collection maintenance efforts, such as weeding and re-balancing the collection.
- Instructs patrons in the use of reference materials, online and in print.
- Run departmental reports on a routine basis and record data.
- Provide support to the catalog and collection librarians and assists with special projects as needed.
- Orients patrons in the use of the library, its collections and other resources including use of computers and study rooms; and recommends and locates materials for patrons.
- Arranges and implements special programs for community groups, schools, and human services agencies.
- Additional duties as assigned.
An equivalent combination of education, training and experience that demonstrates required knowledge, skills, and abilities may be considered.
- High School Diploma or GED
- At least one (1) year of customer service or professional library experience
- Spanish language skills preferred
- Customer service experience preferred; working with varying age levels; working with diverse populations
- Experience and comfort driving a large vehicle – no CDL required
- The principles, organization, and practices of library service
- Library classification system
- Internet computerized systems and their applications to assigned functions
- Basic trouble-shooting in computer operation
- Ability to speak a second language
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and citizens
- Deal with stressful situations with tact and diplomacy
- Communicate with diverse customers/staff of all ages in a professional, age and culturally, appropriate manner
- Enthusiasm, passion and patience working with a diverse customer base
- Communicate effectively in writing
- Use general office equipment, computers, calculators, and copy/fax machine
- Follow oral and written instructions
- Work shifts, including early mornings, nights, and weekends
- Comfort with using basic tools (i.e. hammer, screwdriver, etc…)
- High sense of initiative and creativity
- The ideal candidates must possess: A positive outlook, passion for working with the community, enthusiasm for learning, ability to problem-solve, comfortable working both independently and as a member of a small collaborative teams. Knowledge of a second language preferred.
Licenses and Certifications:
- Driver’s License with an excellent driving record
- When a local announcement of emergency or disaster is declared by the City, all City of Aurora employees may be required to work as essential personnel.
- Active and sedentary periods of physical work requiring ability to lift a maximum of 50 pounds
- Frequent lifting, carrying, walking and standing
- Clear vision for day and night driving, reading and interpreting communications and shelving/locating library materials
- Frequent hand/eye coordination for operation of office equipment
- Speech communication and hearing to maintain communication with employees and citizens
- 20 hours a week at the Central Library, working in the Reference Department, and 20 hours a week driving/working on the Bookmobile. This position will work every Saturday.
- Primarily light to very active work requiring ability to lift a maximum of 50 pounds with or without assistance
- Frequent lifting, carrying, walking and standing and loading and unloading materials in and out of the Bookmobile
- Requires frequent pulling, pushing, bending and stooping
- Frequent hand/eye coordination for operation of office equipment, computer system, carts, and moveable shelving
- Vision for reading and interpreting reports and data analysis and preparation
- Vision and hand/eye coordination to operate Bookmobile.
- Frequent speech communication, hearing and listening to maintain communication with employees and citizens
- Must be able to work shifts that include early mornings, evenings and weekends on a regular basis
- Willingness to substitute on occasional basis or be reassigned permanently to another Aurora Library location as needed when special circumstances arise
- Standard business and professional tools and equipment
- Occasional use of basic repair tools (i.e. hammers, screwdrivers, etc…)
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment
For Veterans preference: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies