The Town is seeking a trustworthy, responsible individual who, under direction of the Library Director, will perform professional administrative and technical library work classifying, cataloging, ordering and maintaining books and materials, performing reference work, planning and implementing special programming and services, and assisting the general public.
· Develop collections and programming in collaboration with the Director and other staff.
· Attend system-wide meetings for librarians serving adults.
· Attend system-wide meetings of the heads of circulation, thoroughly understand the functions of the automated library system shared by Rhode Island public libraries well enough to oversee and mediate its use, and envision and evaluate possible changes and improvements to the system.
· Document the circulation system and train staff in its use. Ensure circulation tasks are done efficiently and accurately in a timely manner.
· Incorporate new technologies into library service and train staff and patrons in use.
· Help maintain library website, online calendar and social media. Work with other staff to develop and send press releases.
· Provide reference service, reader’s advisory and instruction in library and computer use.
· Support the library circulation desk as needed.
· Provide technical support of library equipment as needed.
· May be left in charge of the library, for supervising opening or closing, or to respond to emergencies or immediate problems.
· Participates in other work as needed to ensure that library services are unimpeded.
· ALA-accredited Master's Degree in Library and Information Science.
· Ability to bend, stretch, sit and stand for long periods of time.
· Ability to lift and carry objects up to 35 lbs.
· Ability to deliver exemplary customer service.
· Ability to work effectively as part of a team and with minimum supervision.
· Experience with instructing others on how to use digital technology.
· Experience in planning and conducting age-appropriate programming.
· Working knowledge of print and online reference resources.
· Able to foster a nonjudgmental, supportive environment for a diverse population of users by using patience and effective communication.
· Demonstrates skill in reference interviewing and in Reader’s Advisory.
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
- Full-time position
- Paid time off
- Excellent Dental and Medical Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Retirement benefits
Additional Info & Requirements
Please submit a cover letter, resume and 3 professional references to:
Jon Anderson, Director
Marian J Mohr Memorial Library
1 Memorial Avenue
Johnston, RI 02919
Review of applications will begin Wednesday, September 22 and the position will remain open until filled.
The Marian J. Mohr Memorial Library is the municipal public library of Johnston, RI. We are proud of a strong service orientation and a new facility that provides space for study, public computers, and programs.
"The mission of the Marian J. Mohr Memorial Library is to provide for the cultural, educational, informational, and research needs of all members of the community through books and media, reference service, technological resources, public programs and meeting space. The Library is committed to excellence as a resource for patrons to gain enrichment, become informed, and pursue their goals." -from the Mission Statement and Long Range Plan