Purpose: The Branch Services Manager oversees the Branch Services department for Douglas County Libraries (DCL). This position manages the Branch Services Supervisors that supervise Customer Experience Associates and develop and maintain the branch schedules. This role works effectively with the Director of Customer Experience, the Senior Leadership Team, and cross-departmental teams to achieve set goals. Individuals in this role foster staff development through proactive, engaged leadership and professional managerial skills.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
25% Functional Expertise:
- Possesses advanced knowledge and understanding of the department’s services, functions, and associated technologies.
- Oversees department services, and along with supervisors, identifies staff training, technology needs, and areas of improvement to improve the customer experience.
- Stays abreast of current trends in libraries, museums, and other relevant industries.
- Utilizes user data and workflow evaluations to judiciously make changes to department.
- Serves as Person-In-Charge on an as-needed basis in coordination with other branch leaders.
- Recruits, interviews, hires and trains new department supervisors.
- Monitors and develops employee performance, including delivering recognition and constructive and timely feedback.
- Ensures district scheduling standards are reached and upheld at each branch.
- Recommends salary increases, promotions, transfers, or terminations.
- Handles discipline and terminations in accordance with organizational human resources practices.
- Provides after-hours support to Customer Experience division supervisors on an as-needed basis.
- On-call in crisis situations.
- Ensures that team consumes, understands, and effectively utilizes organizational communication.
- Provides direction, support, feedback, and leadership to direct reports.
- Ensures brand compliance and excellent internal and external customer service in interactions with customers and staff.
- Ensures that the team aligns with organizational goals and values.
- Regularly meets and spends time with staff to ensure an appropriate level of performance and offer an ongoing opportunity for professional development.
- Promptly approves time cards and time off requests.
25% Department Operations:
- Provides clear communication and directives to teams. Drafts processes and procedures as needed.
- Ensures consistent implementation of branch services throughout the district, and ensures standards are upheld.
- Works closely with the Learning & Development department and other department managers to ensure staff training needs are met.
- Oversees the department budget. Is responsible for submitting invoices as per purchasing guidelines.
- Identifies areas of improvement, and looks for efficiencies and ways to increase the quality of the customer experience.
- Fosters a culture of innovation and continuous improvement.
- Ensures that all department process changes are documented, communicated, and rolled out to staff and customers responsibly and with a focus on how individuals, the organization, and the community are affected.
- Serves as a member of the division leadership team and as a leader for DCL in order to advance library services in Douglas County.
- Takes ownership over the customer experience, providing constructive feedback and suggesting potential changes to the service model to ensure delivery on the DCL brand and values.
- Sets goals for district project(s), establishes implementation team(s) and timelines for completion by utilizing the organization’s project management process.
- Collaborates effectively with other managers to achieve desired outputs and outcomes for the organization.
- Develops resilient Branch Services Supervisors that manage their time, complete their projects, problem solve, resolve conflicts, and exemplify leadership qualities.
- Promotes positive and productive workplace cultures. Maintains effective working relationships with DCL staff.
- Participates in and supports district committees, trainings and professional development.
- Demonstrates strong communication, organizational, time management and strategic thinking skills. Maintains a positive growth mind-set.
- Performs the role and responsibilities of the director in a backup or supportive role as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
One DCL Commitment: It is an expectation of each employee that you will exemplify Douglas County Libraries Brand, Culture and Values of welcoming to all, continual growth and authentic relationships.
- Bachelor’s degree in Library Science or related field.
- Five or more years’ professional experience, preferably in a public library.
- Three years of supervisory experience.
- Master’s degree in Library Science or related field.
- Leadership and customer service experience.
- Scheduling or scheduling software experience.
A combination of experience and education will be considered.
Physical Requirements: Ability to drive between various branches. Must have the physical ability, stamina, mobility and manual dexterity to support a 7-day a week operation. Work at computer work-stations repetitively and for extended periods. Participate in meetings and events at various locations and at varied times throughout the day. Ability to read as small as 8pt font.
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
Douglas County Libraries (DCL) is a Colorado PERA Member Employer, so you will be enrolled in Colorado PERA. For details on member benefits go to www.copera.org
Elective DCL benefits include:
- Health Care Plans: medical, dental & vision
- Voluntary Plans: Accident, Critical Illness, Short Term, and Long Term Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment coverage
- 401k & 457 plans (through CO PERA)
- Legal-ID Shield
Additional DCL benefits include:
- Holiday Pay
- Paid Time Off
- Extended Illness time off
- Leaves of Absence for Qualifying Events
*Benefits are subject to change
Please apply for this job here.