The Serials Assistant receives and processes all serials and government documents and initiates vendor claims for unreceived materials. Additionally, this position checks in and labels all serials and government documents, ensuring bibliographic and item records are accurate.
- Check-in all serials by analyzing bibliographic records in LAWPAC and selecting between similar entries. Decide when and how to edit, create or delete check-in records. Build item records for individual volumes with accurate circulation and location information and label. Ensure materials are moved within the collection or discarded, when appropriate, as new materials arrive. Keep statistics daily and report them monthly.
- Perform end-processing and shelving of all items that are checked in, except looseleafs. Manage the superseded collection and ensure that materials and Millennium are updated and relocated.
- Process materials for binding: collect and collate issues; annotate Millennium record; create automated bindery records in the bindery database; pack issues for shipment. Receive shipment monthly: unpack; process on Millennium, itemize; and perform final processing before materials are shelved. Resolve any problems and communicate with the bindery.
- Run the claims list and contact vendors for missing materials on a weekly basis. Verify the accuracy of the “late” status by researching if the item or issue should have been received. Claim item from the appropriate vendor using each specific vendor’s procedure.
- Receive government documents, unpack boxes and match items to shipping list, search Millennium and select exact bibliographic record, check-in, itemize, and label the piece; and identify new documents not found in Millennium.
- Special projects including printing Colorado bills; special inventory projects; processing mail and cataloging or acquisitions assistance.