As part of the Access and Public Services Department of the Auraria Library, the APS Service Specialist (Temp) directly serves library users by working at the two main service points in the library: Ask Us & Ask Me Desk. They will answer a variety of questions about the library, campus, and surrounding Denver area; perform circulation functions in Sierra; and rove the first and second floor of the library to help patrons in need. This position works mornings and days, and acts as point person at the Ask Us Desk when needed (mainly when the Morning and Day Supervisor are not present). As point person they will be responsible for opening the library, completing all necessary duties, guiding student employees, and serving as person in charge of library until leadership is on site.
Access & Public Services, Access Services Manager
Nature of Work
Ask Us Desk
- Act as point person if the Morning or Day Supervisor are not available.
- Provide shift coverage at the Ask Us Desk Monday-Friday 7am to 4pm.
- Provide statistics by tracking each question they answer in the LibAnalytics software
- Perform circulation functions including checking the collection in and out, registering patrons, placing items on hold, renewing, searching for items, and resolving patron account issues.
- Serve library users directly by working at the Ask Us Desk. Answer a variety of directional and reference questions, provide technology support, and report any facility issues.
Ask Me Desk
- Support Ask Us by handling transactions that need to happen on the second floor. Ask Us and Ask Me will to keep each other informed of transactions and issues.
- Manage the desk by answering directional and reference questions, providing tech support, and reporting facility needs.
- Assist patrons who need help, enforce the general use policy, and monitor the space.
- Serves library users directly by working at the Ask Me Desk. This is the main service point for the second floor of the library.
- Assist with future circulation projects.
- Help support Access and Public Services Department multiple circulation duties by processing library holds and completing long overdue lists.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Promotes a positive work environment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Demonstrated commitment and ability to advance diversity and inclusion.
- Attention to detail
- Outstanding customer service skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the institution.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally.
Conditions of Employment:
Position requires that all work be completed on-site.
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
The hourly range of the finalist selected for this role will be set based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to, internal equity, experience, education, specialty and training.
The above hourly range (or hiring range) represents the University’s good faith and reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation at the time of posting.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background checks for all new employees prior to their employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation
Additional Info & Requirements
- Two years of experience working in library support which include customer service experience.
- Experience working with internal and external contacts, such as students, staff, and faculty.
- Experience working in library service area with appropriate automated systems, such as Interlibrary Loan systems like OCLC, ILLiad, DOCLINE, Rapid, or library Circulation systems like Innovative Interfaces, ExLibris ALMA, etc.
- Experience utilizing Microsoft Excel to maintain statistics, data, and information.
- Experience utilizing Microsoft Word to develop, edit and update reports, handouts and correspondence.
- Bachelor’s degree in library science, social sciences, humanities, statistics, liberal arts, business, English, communication, or closely related field.
Located in downtown Denver, Colorado, the Auraria Campus is home to three institutions of higher education – University of Colorado Denver, Metropolitan State University of Denver, and Community College of Denver – all are Hispanic-Serving Institutions. The Auraria Library serves the campus’ over 45,000 students, including many first-generation, underrepresented, and non-traditional students, and sees more than 750,000 visits a year. Auraria Library is committed to diversity within its community and welcomes applications from historically underrepresented candidates. The library seeks candidates who embrace a multicultural, diverse, and inclusive workplace, and who strive to incorporate those values in their work and interactions.
Application Materials Required: Cover Letter, Resume/CV Please be advised that the University does check references as part of the employment process.
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Application Materials Required: Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Please be advised that the University does check references as part of the employment process.