The Technical Services Librarian manages all aspects of the Technical Services Department including acquisitions, cataloging (original and copy), periodical subscriptions, digital collections, and administration of the ILS (Sierra). In addition, the Technical Services Librarian will participate in collection management with other members of the Library Operations Team. This position may supervise part-time library assistants and student workers, and reports to the Director of Collections & Library Services.
- Orders, tracks, and processes all new acquisitions, including print and non-print formats.
- Manages the acquisitions materials budget, tracks the special book fund designations, and assigns funds to purchases.
- Participates in the subject selection of acquisitions for the circulating collection.
- Manages annual EBSCO periodical subscriptions.
- Processes donations and gifts to the circulating and special collections.
- Performs original and copy cataloging of all materials and formats following national standards (AACR2, MARC) and classify and provide subject access to materials using DDC, LC subject headings and local classification systems.
- Maintains the accuracy and completeness of bibliographic, item, and order records in ILS.
- Develops and implements plan to address retrospective cataloging needs of the circulating collection.
- Maintains and performs routine administrative functions in the ILS.
- Primary liaison to Innovative Interfaces and our consortium partner, the Fleet Library at RISD.
- Manages digital assets including Hoopla streaming service.
- Maintains and catalogs digital collections into the Omeka database with MODS and Dublin Core.
- Prepares and remits annual E-rate funding application.
- Evaluates, develops, and implements policies and procedures for Technical Services, suggests innovations and generates ideas for improving workflows and creating efficiencies.
- Coordinates and manages library projects such as inventory, shifting and discarding of materials.
- Participates in the management decisions of the library as a member of the library operations team.
- Stays informed of evolving technical services trends, changing practices and standards, new cataloging software applications and local technology changes.
- Maintains department statistics and compiles monthly and annual reports.
- May supervise library assistants including staff, student workers and volunteers.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree in library science from an ALA accredited institution.
- Minimum of 3 years of professional technical services experience.
- Experience with MARC, LCSH and DDC, and Dublin Core, MODS and EAD formats.
- Ability to create original cataloging records in OCLC.
- Expertise with managing integrated library systems, preferably Innovative’s Sierra ILS and digital assets.
- Excellent project management and technology skills.
- Must be well organized and possess excellent interpersonal communication skills and work collaboratively as part of a team.
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
Health, dental, 403B retirement plan and vacation.
Additional Info & Requirements
This is a 12-month, full-time position / 32 hours per week / Monday – Thursday, 9 am – 5 pm. Additional responsibilities may include occasional evening and weekend hours.
The Providence Athenæum is an independent, member-supported library and cultural center located on Providence’s historic Benefit Street. Over its nearly 200 years of existence, the library has welcomed illustrious writers, spirited thinkers, and energetic community members through its doors to engage in reading, conversation, and debate. At its heart, the Athenæum encourages a love of reading and learning to all.
Human Resources / Job Listings
Please send a cover letter and resume to:
Kate Wodehouse, Director of Collections & Library Services, email@example.com
The Providence Athenaeum does not discriminate based on ethnicity, religious affiliation, gender, age, disability, or sexual orientation. We are committed to creating a diverse staff and encourage all qualified individuals to apply.