This is a 20-hour part-time position.
The Englewood Public Library, located just south of the City of Denver, serves a diverse community of users. We are situated next to a light rail stop and RTD bus station, on the first floor of the Englewood Civic Center.
As a Library Safety Specialist, you will help to maintain a safe and secure environment in the library, and you will greet people and provide basic customer service. You will patrol the library and address inappropriate behaviors. You will also check-in/shelve books and other library materials.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The listed examples of work are not intended to be all-inclusive. They may be modified with additions, deletions, or changes as necessary.
40% Patrol and Incident Response
- You will greet patrons and monitor the library entrances.
- You will make regular rounds throughout the library.
- You will help to enforce the library’s code of conduct by addressing inappropriate behaviors.
- You will de-escalate situations that have the potential to be dangerous or disruptive.
- You will investigate disturbances in the library and adjacent lobby areas.
- You will communicate with managers, police, and library staff during and after safety or security incidents.
30% Customer Service
- You will provide directional assistance to library users and answer basic questions.
- You will assist users with account questions and fines payment.
- You will provide basic assistance at the public computers and printers.
- You will help patrons set up meeting and study room appointments.
30% Materials Handling
- You will empty bookdrops, check-in and shelve library materials.
- You will assist with other operational tasks including paging lists, clear holdshelf, etc.
In addition to the duties described here, you will perform other duties around the library and/or City of Englewood as assigned.
PREPARATION AND TRAINING
Education: High School diploma or equivalent, required.
Work Experience: At least one year of customer service experience; at least one year of experience working with security and safety.
Certifications and/or Licensures: First Aid/CPR certificate, preferred.
Required Driver’s License: None.
An equivalent combination of education, training and relevant job experience may be substituted.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- You have a knowledge of de-escalation techniques and the ability to use them in potentially dangerous or disruptive situations.
- You have the ability to pass a criminal background check and drug test.
- You have the ability to maintain a calm, professional demeanor under pressure.
- You have skill in interpreting, communicating and presenting information.
- You have the ability to document security incidents clearly and accurately.
- You have basic-to-intermediate technical skills, in order to operate security camera and library software.
- You have the ability to work with a diverse set of library users from varying backgrounds.
- You have the ability to maintain discretion, integrity, confidentiality and trust.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Work is performed in a standard library environment, requiring standing and walking for extended periods of time. Must be able to push and pull a full book cart (up to 20 lbs/force) and perform occasional lifting (up to 30 lbs).