Summary of Job Duties
All applications must include a Resume
Salary to be commensurate with experience.
Full salary range for this position is $48,77- $76,212/annually
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora! We are looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to strengthen our team of talented and valued employees. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values.
The City of Aurora will conduct ongoing screenings of applications on a first-come, first-serve basis; as soon as we determine to have a qualified pool of applicants, this position may close quickly and without notice.
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
Administers the activities and operations of cataloging and materials processing within the System Support department for the Aurora Public Library system
- Searches cataloging utility software for various types of books and audio-visual materials and loads or manually creates item and bibliographic records applying standards for consistency
- Catalogs all types of materials within the library system via copy cataloging or original cataloging
- Administers OPAC/discovery layer to ensure the discoverability of materials by staff and customers
- Creates and oversees workflow and assignment of work for various positions within the department
- Participates in various committees and may coordinate some special activities
- Cross-trains within different departments for knowledge of training and teaching
- Supports the goals of other departments and programs as it relates to cataloging and the discoverability of materials
- Provides records and physical processing of all materials using up-to-date methods and procedures
- Trains employees in all aspects of cataloging operations develops, reviews and updates procedures when necessary
- Responds to questions in person, by email, and by phone
- Performs additional duties as assigned
An equivalent combination of training and experience may be considered
- Master’s Degree in Library and Information Science from an ALA accredited program.
- At least 3 years professional level public library experience.
- Preferred: A minimum 1 year supervisory experience. Experience in cataloging operations and procedures of a public library system.
- Experience working with the Sierra ILS is a plus.
- General knowledge of the Dewey Decimal Classification System, RDA, and Library of Congress Subject Headings, cataloging rules and standards, routine software and business applications, including but not limited to, word processing, spreadsheets, presentation software, and databases; integrated library systems software and web applications; reference materials and resources; library operations and functions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with vendors, peers and library staff at all levels, citizens, library users
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing; train and supervise other staff as needed; manage projects and meet deadlines
- Use general office equipment; perform mathematical calculations, analyze statistical information, and is adept at MS Excel or other spreadsheet software
- Work shifts primarily Monday – Friday between 8:00 – 5:00, some evening and weekend shifts as needed
- Strong interpersonal, communication, time management and organizational skills
- Advanced skill in the use of computers including spreadsheet design
- Database programming, troubleshooting and word processing software applications
LICENSES OR CERTIFICATES REQUIRED:
- When a local announcement of emergency or disaster is declared by the City, all City of Aurora employees may be required to work as essential personnel.
- Light physical work requiring the ability to lift a maximum of 10 pounds with or without assistance
- Frequent hand/eye coordination for operation of office equipment
- Vision for reading and interpreting reports and data analysis and preparation
- Frequent speech communication, hearing and listening to maintain communication with employees and citizens
- Considerable walking and standing; frequent pushing, pulling, and climbing
- Essential duties performed primarily in an indoor office, public area setting.
- Occasionally works nights and weekend
- This position may require the incumbent to use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment.
For Veterans preference: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.