The Willmar Public Library, a member of the Pioneerland Library System, in Willmar Minnesota is recruiting for a full time Adult Services Librarian. This position works closely with library patrons, stakeholders, and community organizations to provide innovative service to the Willmar Minnesota community. The Adult Services Librarian should be able to develop outstanding programing and lead outreach efforts to community members and other area stakeholders. Knowledge of customer service and library principles is important.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Develops and presents adult focused programs in a variety of formats inside and outside the library.
· Completes outreach activities to area business, civic events, and community events to promote literacy and library activities.
· Provides outstanding customer service to all members of the community by staffing public service desks. Offering reference/ reader’s advisory and computer help as needed.
· Assists with collection development efforts in the general fiction and nonfiction areas of the collection under the direction of the Head Librarian.
· Creates displays inside the library.
· Promotes library events and programs through social media outlets.
· Acts as a senior member of the Willmar Library staff by providing direction to Library Assistants and other staff.
· Serves as liaison to the Friends of the Willmar Public Library and other community groups.
· Works closely with the Head Librarian and other programming librarians to strengthen library programing and service offerings.
· Act as the person in charge when the Head Librarian is away from the library.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree required. Master’s Degree in Library and Information Science from an ALA-accredited library and information science graduate program is preferred. Applicants currently enrolled in a graduate library program are encouraged to apply. A minimum of 1-3 years of work experience related to working in a library or educational setting. Applicants with any combination of education, experience and training necessary to perform the essential requirements of the job are encouraged to apply.
Skills & Abilities:
· Skilled in planning, developing and implementing programming for a diverse community.
· Knowledge of and experience in technical professional reference and research methods and techniques.
· Knowledge of alpha and numerical classification systems.
· Ability to effectively work with the general public in responding to needs/requests.
· Strong customer service, public relations, and communication skills.
· Knowledge of utilizing a variety of common and emerging technologies.
· Skilled in the operation of office equipment such as personal computers, telephone, adding machine, photocopier and fax machines.
Positions in this class typically require: walking, stooping, crouching, reaching, lifting, fingering, feeling, grasping, talking, hearing, and seeing.
Light Work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. Some light lifting and carrying of office materials may be required up to 25 pounds.
Other Requirements: Must be able to work a flexible schedule including days, evenings and weekends. Must submit to and successfully pass a criminal background investigation.
Application Instructions: Applicants should submit a resume, cover letter, and completed Pioneerland Library System job application to Andrew Bregar, Head Librarian 410 5th Street SW Willmar, MN 56201 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application is available at: https://www.willmarpubliclibrary.org/job-opportunities/
Application Deadline: Application materials accepted until 5:00 PM October 22, 2021 for first consideration.
Notice: Appointments for all PLS job positions require the approval of the Pioneerland Library Board and successful completion of background check.
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
Competitive benefit package including sick leave, vacation leave, medical insurance, and Minnesota PERA retirement.
External Job Ad
Andrew Bregar, Head Librarian
410 5th St. SW Willmar, MN 56201
(320) 235-3162 ext. 15