Purpose: The Customer Experience Librarian plans, coordinates and implements library services offered at Douglas County Libraries (DCL). This role has a clear understanding of principles and practices related to public library work, with a chief emphasis on delivery of outstanding service to library customers. This role works as an effective member of the Customer Experience team and on cross-departmental teams in collaboration with other professional staff.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
60% Library Services:
- Takes ownership of the customer experience by embracing innovation and experimentation, seeking out new technologies, looking for new ways to create connections with the community inside and outside of the library, and creating a sense of discovery and magic in the branch.
- Demonstrates a thorough knowledge of professional library principles, including: public reference service expertise, technology assistance, and presentation skills.
- Demonstrates expertise in readers’ advisory services to assist customers with identifying materials appropriate for diverse ages, interests, reading abilities, learning styles, and special needs requirements.
- Assists customers in using reference tools, conducting in-depth research, locating materials and managing accounts. Instructs customers on the use of resources across formats and platforms.
- Anticipates trends that will impact libraries, literacy, publishing, and information technology.
- Supports Collection Services with the merchandising and hand-selling of library materials. Communicates with Collection Services as needed.
- With supervisor guidance, implements creative ideas and services intended to encourage discovery and interaction with the library.
- Serves as Person-In-Charge on a regular basis by offering leadership and direction to ensure branch operations and safety.
30% Organizational Impact:
- Recommends thoughtful change to help DCL stay relevant and vital.
- Works interdepartmentally to create, promote and implement events and services.
- Identifies training needs and opportunities and collaborates with the Learning & Development department to address.
- Extends professional courtesy to other team members and understands the big picture and the essential nature of every role at DCL.
- Stimulates collaborative, seamless relationships with co-workers and branch staff, thereby contributing to a cohesive organization that supports a positive culture and achieves strategic plan.
10% Technical Performance:
- Demonstrates an expert knowledge of the Code of Ethics of the American Library Association.
- Learns new software packages quickly and with a high degree of accuracy.
- Provides routine customer support for questions about in-branch printing and e-reader use.
- Stays current on DCL emails, meetings, trainings, processes, procedures and technologies required to perform work duties.
Performs other duties as assigned.
One DCL Commitment: It is an expectation of each employee that you will exemplify Douglas County Libraries Brand, Culture and Values of welcoming to all, continual growth and authentic relationships.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Library Science or related field.
- Three or more years’ professional experience, preferably in a public library.
- Fluency in MS Office, and other industry related software
- A Master of Library Science
A combination of experience and education will be considered.
Physical Requirements: Ability to drive between various branches. Must have the physical ability, stamina, mobility and manual dexterity to support a 7-day a week operation. Work at computer work-stations repetitively and for extended periods. Participate in meetings and events at various locations and at varied times throughout the day. Ability to read as small as 8pt font.
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
Benefits: Douglas County Libraries (DCL) is a Colorado PERA Member Employer, so you will be enrolled in Colorado PERA. For details on member benefits go to www.copera.org Elective DCL benefits include:
- Health Care Plans: medical, dental & vision
- Voluntary Plans: Accident, Critical Illness, Short Term, and Long Term Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment coverage
- 401k & 457 plans (through CO PERA)
- Legal-ID Shield
Additional DCL benefits include:
- Holiday Pay
- Paid Time Off
- Extended Illness time off
- Leaves of Absence for Qualifying Events
*Benefits are subject to change