Summary of Job Duties
Salary to be commensurate with experience.
The hiring range for this position $18.13 - $22.66 / Hourly
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora! We are looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to strengthen our team of talented and valued employees. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values.
OVERVIEW OF POSITION
Provides high quality friendly service assisting customers using library resources, computers and conducting research. Plans and conducts programs and outreach events, teaches a wide range of customer classes. Assists with circulation services, help desk and collection management duties. This position may be hired to work primarily at a specific facility with a primary focus but will substitute at other locations at times and depending upon future staffing needs, be re-assigned to a different primary facility.
This position will work primarily at the following location(s):
- Tallyn's Reach, 23911 E Arapahoe Rd, 80016
The primary service area focus of this position is:
- Youth Services, reference, circulation
The Library and Cultural Services Departments vision is to empower an environment of lifelong learning and cultural enrichment by stimulating learning and literacy, inspiring creativity, and integrating arts, culture and history into the lives of Aurorans. We have two divisions within the department: Library and Cultural Services, both offering a variety of free programs and services to the community. Please go to www.auroralibrary.org to learn more about the Aurora Public Library.
Library Services Summary
- 6 locations
- Books, CDs, DVDs, magazines
- Database and language learning programs
- Public computers
- Study space
- Printing, faxing and scanning services
- Community events and programs or activities for all ages
The City of Aurora will conduct ongoing screenings of applications on a first come-first serve basis; as soon as we determine to have a qualified pool of applicants, this position may close quickly and without notice.
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides friendly, efficient and professional service to customers in-person, by telephone and email
- Conducts general office/administrative/clerical tasks as needed
- Performs additional duties as assigned
Youth Services Focus (Primary):
- Planning and performing storytimes, and other early literacy, children, and family programs
- Performs high level reference searches using library resources, on-line databases and other reputable sources
- Assists customers with accessing and using library resources (books, databases, computers, etc.) and computer questions related to Microsoft Office products, internet navigation, email services, third party web sites and other software applications on public computers
- Assists with outreach events that may include attending fairs/events representing the library at booths/tables, speaking to community groups or school children
- Creates and maintains displays, bulletin boards and other merchandising efforts
- Acts as "Person-In-Charge" with added authority to manage customers issues and other situations when supervisory staff are not on site or unavailable
Circulation Focus (secondary):
- Checks books/other items in and out through computerized system
- Answers general customer questions regarding library policy, procedures and customer accounts
- Operates a cash register, conducts customer payment transactions, maintains a cash drawer
- Assists customers with e-book services, devices and trouble shooting
- Assists with collection/inventory management duties that may include weeding, sorting, shelving, cataloging assistance, interlibrary loan, database input/maintenance
- Proactively ensures library space is neat and organized (e.g. furniture and equipment is in order, shelves are well organized, displays are creative and refreshed regularly)
The ideal candidates must possess:
- Enthusiasm, passion and patience working with children, teens and adults
- High sense of initiative and creativity and the ability to think of interesting ways to relate to children and teens
- Experience in outreach or similar activities
- Experience with developing and conducting classes and programs for children and teens
Education: Bachelor's degree
At least 1 year of direct customer service in retail or service industry setting preferred
Two years public library experience highly preferred, but similar experience may be substituted and considered
Experience in overseeing customer service and daily operations of a small public library; experience in outreach or similar activities
Experience with developing and conducting classes and programs; experience working with children and teens
Customer service techniques, routine software/computer systems including the Internet, email, word processing, spreadsheets, and inventory/customer transaction systems
Ability to deal with stressful situations with tact and diplomacy; communicate with diverse customers/staff of all ages in a professional, age and culturally appropriate manner
- Use general office equipment, computers, calculators, and copy/fax machine
- Perform basic mathematical calculations
- Follow oral and written instructions
- Work shifts, including some nights and weekends
- Ability to speak Spanish a plus
Licenses, Certificates, and/or Equipment Required: Colorado driver's license with a good to excellent driving record. This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment.
- Primarily sedentary physical work requiring ability to lift a maximum of 30 pounds
- Occasional lifting, carrying, walking and standing
- Frequent hand/eye coordination for operation of office equipment
- Vision for reading and interpreting reports and data analysis and preparation
- Frequent speech communication, hearing and listening to maintain communication with employees and citizens
- Works in a clean, comfortable environment.
- This job could be challenging at times, due to working in an environment that includes many distractions and interruptions
- Standard business and professional tools and equipment
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment
For Veterans preference: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.