Reporting to the Assistant Director of the Westminster Law Library, research librarians provide high-quality reference, research, and instructional services to faculty and students at the Sturm College of Law, as well as to the larger university community. Reference librarians participate meaningfully and actively in the learning enterprise of the law school, including teaching in the innovative and popular Certificate in Legal Research (CLR) program and creating asynchronous learning tools, such as research guides and online tutorials. This position is a full-time faculty appointment in the University Libraries series subject to the University of Denver’s “Policies and Procedures Relating to Faculty Appointment, Promotion, and Tenure” (https://www.du.edu/facsen/media/documents/apt_jan16_2015.pdf).
- Provide high-quality reference, research, and instructional services to the Sturm College of Law community. This includes regular evaluation, development, and refinement of relevant workflows.
- Teach in and collectively administer the law library’s Certificate in Legal Research (CLR) program, an optional legal research training program that currently supports three different legal research certificates (basic, specialized, and international).
- Provide high-quality service to Law Library patrons at a combined circulation and reference desk.
- Support faculty members engaged in scholarly research, encompassing both legal and interdisciplinary methodologies.
- Teach a law school course (preferably in the area of advanced or specialized legal research) and provide occasional guest lectures (as well as one-on-one instruction) upon request.
- Create and maintain asynchronous learning tools, including research guides and online tutorials.
- Participate on the Law Library’s collection development team and engage in regular evaluation of collection priorities.
- Stay abreast of new developments in library reference, research, and instructional services, including innovative ways to improve relevant workflows by leveraging new technologies.
- Engage in regular Law Library marketing and outreach with an eye toward possible partnerships within the larger university and the local legal community. This includes helping to maintain the law library’s web pages and participating in marketing and outreach activities such as orientation programming.
- Serve on law school, University Libraries, and other relevant committees.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- A strong customer service orientation.
- Effective oral and written communication skills, including strong presentation skills in both one-on-one and group settings.
- Legal research proficiency, including knowledge of key legal research sources and how best to use them in a variety of formats, or the demonstrated potential for rapid growth into such skills.
- A strong commitment to innovation, including comfort with technology and proficiency with a variety of library-related technologies, such as next-generation library systems, legal research platforms, and other relevant technologies.
- Strong analytical/problem solving skills and the ability to exercise independent judgment.
- The ability to work both independently and as a team member.
- The ability to establish and maintain effective and collaborative working relationships both inside and outside the law library.
- Knowledge of professional librarianship concepts, principles, and practices and a commitment to staying abreast of new developments.
- Flexibility, resilience, and the ability to adapt to a rapidly changing environment.
- Excellent time management skills.
- The ability to work evenings and/or weekends, as necessary.
- A demonstrated ability to work flexibly with faculty, students, staff, and a diverse research community.
- A commitment to an inclusive learning environment.
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
The salary range for this position is $65,000 - $70,000. Higher compensation may be negotiable for more qualified candidates on a case-by-case basis.
The University of Denver has provided a compensation range that represents its good faith estimate of what the University may pay for the position at the time of posting. The University may ultimately pay more or less than the posted compensation range. The salary offered to the selected candidate will be determined based on factors such as the qualifications of the selected candidate, departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information, but not based on a candidate’s sex or any other protected status.
The University of Denver offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO pass. The University of Denver is a private institution that empowers students who want to make a difference. Learn more about the University of Denver.
Additional Info & Requirements
- MLS (or equivalent) from an ALA-accredited institution.
- JD (or equivalent) from an ABA-accredited law school.
- Prior experience working in research and reference services in a law library.
- Teaching experience with demonstrated success in the classroom.
Mon-Fri: 8:30am - 5:00pm with some evening and weekend hours as needed.
The University of Denver Sturm College of Law is a national leader in experiential legal education, a recognized innovator in legal pedagogy, and the home of multiple nationally ranked programs, including a Top 10 program in legal research and writing. Housed in a state-of-the-art, LEED Gold building on the campus of the University of Denver, the Westminster Law Library supports cutting-edge faculty research, trains students in legal research skills across multiple subject matter areas, and familiarizes students with a range of technologies relevant to modern-day legal practice.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00 p.m. (MST) on January 8, 2022. The position will remain open until filled.
Candidates must apply online through jobs.du.edu to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
Please include the following documents with your application:
- Cover Letter
- Contact information for three professional references