Night and weekend availability is required. Locations may vary and be updated if additional vacancies become available.
Job Type: Part-Time (26 hours)
Closing Date: 1/17/2022 or until filled
Purpose: The Materials Handler performs work that involves the processing, handling and shelving of all Douglas County Libraries’ (DCL’s) materials in an accurate and timely manner. This position maintains the general order of library materials. Additionally, MHs perform other circulation functions and basic clerical activities in support of library services. This role requires considerable excellent attention to detail and quality output results in all areas of responsibility.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
80% Handling DCL Collections:
- Learns and becomes proficient with DCL’s shelving procedures using the library’s classification system and collection layout. Stays aware of new material handling and circulation practices and guidelines.
- Moves, distributes and processes incoming and outgoing materials manually and using automated material handling equipment in a high volume environment.
- Pulls requests for customers; processes and files customer holds accurately in a timely fashion prioritizing customer expectations.
- Arranges collections by accurately filing alphabetically, alpha-numerically, and numerically. Merchandises and grooms materials on the shelves as needed.
- Operates and monitors all functions of the automated handling equipment or other related material handling tools, including RFID readers, PCs, printers, barcode scanners, and material bins.
- Demonstrates a professional, positive, cooperative team-oriented working relationship with MH team members and volunteers.
10% Customer Service:
- Creates positive experiences for library customers by effectively and efficiently performing job tasks; presents a positive image of the library in attitude, communications and appearance while performing duties in both the public and staff areas.
- Addresses customers’ questions as appropriate within training guidelines, and maintains customer privacy. Consistently practices the “customer first” philosophy.
- Collaborates with and supports our volunteers, enabling the organization to achieve our goals and fulfill DCL’s mission/vision.
- Demonstrates a professional, positive, cooperative, team-oriented relationships with branch and district co-workers across all DCL departments.
- Stays abreast of branch and DCL updates by reading e-mails, meeting minutes, message boards, and attending department and branch meetings as assigned.
- Stays current on DCL policies, processes, procedures and technologies required to perform work duties.
- Promotes DCL’s culture of safety by following library safety policy guidelines and safety rules. Practices effective personal and branch safety.
- Learns new software packages quickly and with a high degree of accuracy.
Performs other work duties as assigned.
One DCL Commitment: It is an expectation of each employee that you will exemplify Douglas County Libraries Brand, Culture and Values of welcoming to all, continual growth and authentic relationships.
- At least 16 years of age.
- Two years of library or relevant material handling experience
- High School Degree or equivalent
- Experience with MS Office Products and other industry related software
A combination of experience and education will be considered.
Physical Requirements: Must have the physical ability, stamina, mobility and manual dexterity to support a 7-day a week operation. Stand, walk, bend to floor level, reach to a height over 70 inches, and read a minimum 8 point font, repetitively for extended periods. Handle materials, push/pull loads with a force of up to 35 pounds, carry 15 pounds, lift up to 35 pounds, and grip up to 15 pounds, repetitively. Kneel, squat, climb, and work at a computer workstation, frequently. Participate in meetings and events at various locations and at varied times throughout the day.
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
Douglas County Libraries (DCL) is a Colorado PERA Member Employer, so you will be enrolled in Colorado PERA. For details on member benefits go to www.copera.org Elective DCL benefits include:
- Health Care Plans: medical, dental & vision
- Voluntary Plans: Accident, Critical Illness, Short Term, and Long Term Insurance
- 401k & 457 plans (through CO PERA)
- Legal-ID Shield
Additional DCL benefits include:
- Holiday Pay
- Paid Time Off
- Extended Illness time off
- Leaves of Absence for Qualifying Events
*Benefits are subject to change