Come join the fun at the Lawrence Public Library!
We are searching for a creative, ambitious, and enthusiastic individual who is committed to customer service and loves working with youth. Your mission will be to work closely with the Youth Services Coordinator, Teen Services Librarians, and the youth staff to make the library an exciting and welcoming space for babies through teens and their families.
Lawrence Public Library embraces diversity and promotes inclusion in its mission, hiring, and operations. The library actively seeks individuals whose commitments and contributions will advance our mission to be a diverse, equitable, and antiracist organization. Lawrence Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
As the Youth Services Assistant, we will need you to:
- Implement imaginative and inventive programs for teens in conjunction with other staff
- Be passionate about children’s and teen literature and able to recommend books to youth and their adults
- Connect students and parents with the information they seek
- Create enthusiasm for the library when visiting with patrons in the library
- Be knowledgeable about what today’s kids and teens want and be sensitive to their needs
- Be spontaneous and unafraid to take risks and learn something new
- Be a self-starter that doesn’t mind a busy atmosphere
- Truly value working with youth and appreciate all of their originality
- Some college credits
- Familiarity with common office suite programs
- Strong customer-service orientation
- Knowledge of young adult literature and media trends
- Previous work with youth
- Bachelor’s degree
- Library experience
- Artistic, drama, gaming, and/or musical skills
- Proficiency in another language in addition to English
- Sundays 12–6
- Tuesdays 4–8
- Wednesdays 1–8
- Saturdays 12–6
This is a part-time Assistant II position with starting wages of $15.18 an hour. This position is 22 hours a week, including Saturday and Sunday hours each week, plus two weeknights. If this sounds like the job for you, please consider joining our team at the Lawrence Public Library by submitting a job application, resume, and cover letter. For references, please be sure to include people that have worked with you in the past and can speak to your strengths. The application deadline is Monday, January 17, 2021. Visit https://lplks.org/library-jobs/ to apply.
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
This is a Kansas Public Employees Retirement System (KPERS) position. There are other benefits included too like vacation and sick leave. This position does not offer any health coverage though.
Additional Info & Requirements
If you are selected for the position we will perform a criminal background check.
Lawrence Public Library is located in the heart of downtown Lawrence, Kansas, a quintessential Midwestern college town of 90,000 where you'll find both the University of Kansas and Haskell Indian Nations University. We pride ourselves on being a little quirky. We are known for our main street packed with locally-owned boutiques, chef-owned restaurants, live music, and a vibrant art scene as well as our fiery Civil War history and our free state status. We are warm and welcome and love celebrating each other.
External Job Ad
Employee Engagement Coordinator