The Access Services and Interlibrary Loan Assistant is responsible for providing a range of library public services. Serves as a main contact for library patrons seeking help, general information, and resources. Directly interacts with students, faculty, and staff about use of library materials, circulation services, course reserves services, interlibrary loan and use of special library equipment and facilities. Interprets and communicates library policies and procedures; assists with supervision and training of student employees. Responsible for stacks maintenance, including the shelving of library materials, shelf reading, and shifting projects. As the primary staff person responsible for ILL, obtains and delivers research materials not held by Wheaton College to patrons and supplies items held by the Wheaton library to other libraries around the world. Requires adapting to technology changes and developing expertise with specialized software applications and worldwide library network services, including the need to exercise independent judgement over mechanisms and workflows for efficient and cost effective borrowing and lending of material.
- Associate’s degree and minimum of one year’s experience in a customer service role, preferably in an academic library, or equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
- Strong commitment to public services
- Strong supervisory skills
- Well-organized, with strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Team orientation, flexibility, versatility, and ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a complex and changing public service environment
- Strong oral, written, and interpersonal skills and the ability to interact effectively with students, faculty, and staff
- Ability to juggle constantly changing demands at a busy public service point
- Effective conflict resolution skills
- Aptitude to become proficient with specialized digitization processes, software and equipment essential to departmental operations, e.g., scanners, editing of digital images, creation of PDF files.
- Intermediate experience with Microsoft Office and/or GSuite
- Bachelor’s degree
- Familiarity with Tipasa, WorldShare or ILLiad interlibrary loan systems
Additional Info & Requirements
To prevent the infection and spread of COVID-19 and as an integral part of our public health and safety measures, Wheaton College requires that all successful applicants hired provide proof of full vaccination for COVID-19 at the time of employment, unless an exemption from this policy is requested and approved. Applicants believing that they need an accommodation of this policy because of a disability, medical condition, or sincerely-held religious belief should inform the Office of Human Resources after an offer of employment is extended.
Wheaton College is embracing a flexible approach to the workplace and has established an alternative work arrangements policy. This policy seeks to provide options for alternative work arrangements that include remote, hybrid and flexible schedules. Depending upon the nature of the position, some departments may be able to support their employees in establishing work arrangements under this policy that balance on-site work with some remote work and as such, candidates are encouraged to explore these options with the hiring manager when interviewing.
Wheaton is a private coeducational liberal arts college within easy commuting distance of Boston and Providence. We have nearly 1,700
undergraduates from 40 U.S. States and more than 70 countries. Nearly 23% of our undergraduates are U.S. students of color and 11% are international citizens. Wheaton College is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and does not discriminate against any individual or group on the basis of gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, race, color, religion, national origin, veteran status, genetic
information, or disability. In a continuing effort to maintain and enrich an intellectually diverse learning environment, the Department and the
College actively encourages applications from women and members of underrepresented groups.
External Job Ad