Action Staffing Solutions Government Division is currently looking for a On Site Librarian to work as Government Contractor for the Bureau of Land Management Library.
The contractor shall provide on-site technical support to BLM in the form of one Librarian. The staff member is to be located at the National Operations Center, Denver Federal Center, Lakewood, CO. This support is generally required from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday (except for Federal holidays).
The contractor shall work no more than 80 hours over a two-week period (10 business days). The contractor may work greater or less than 8 hours per day, to allow flexible time and/or accommodate support requirements, so long as the total hours over the two-week periods does not exceed 80 hours.
The librarian position must conduct the following work in support of the BLM Library:
- Provide reference services to BLM Library customers.
- Performed in coordination with and in support of the BLM reference librarian.
- Provide reference services to internal (BLM) and external customers. Tasks may include document delivery, interlibrary loan (ILL) requests to Department of Interior (DOI) Library, literature searches, and preparation of materials for ready reference and library instruction. In more complex cases, the contractor librarian will create in-depth bibliographies, web pages, finding aids and any other work product that is responsive to the BLM staff member’s question.
- In providing reference services, a complete answer, or if this is not possible, an initial answer, must be delivered by the contractor librarian within same business day whenever possible, and at very least 24 business hours within the inquiry.
- On-site assistance to library visitors, including assistance with retrieval of collection materials, and assistance with any aspect of using the physical library must be provided by the placement.
- Maintain various statistics including but not limited to reference, ILLs, various databases, ILS, and historical photo database.
- Support digitization operations.
- Coordinate with BLM librarians, catalogers (contract-placed staff), and digitization vendor.
- Participate in all aspects of the BLM Library’s large-scale digitization effort.
- Identifying items to be digitized, prioritizing items and workflow, perform quality assessment of scanned items, managing systems used to track project activity, harvesting files. Materials to be digitized will be in both print and electronic formats.
- Act as a point of contact with the vendor communicating and coordinating status of materials being scanned and troubleshooting any issues that arise.
- Tasks may also include submitting requests to vendor to edit metadata, updating catalog records, and tracking and returning publications borrowed from other BLM offices for digitization.
- Manage library websites.
- Performed in coordination with and in support of the BLM digital services librarian.
- Develop content and layout for the BLM Library website and BLM science website.
- Content development may include writing copy, managing, and uploading files, preparing instructional materials, and researching, developing, and maintaining subject guides.
- Build pages and add content in designated content management system(s), ensuring Section 508-compliance and maintaining best practices for user experience.
- Monitor sites for outdated or incorrect information and correct as needed.
- Manage access to online journal subscriptions with link resolver.
- Incorporate “born digital” items into the library’s collection.
- Identify and locate existing electronic publications and document files including, but not limited to: planning/NEPA documents; resource surveys and/or reports; technical guides and/or reports; annual and/or progress reports; other BLM national, state, and field office publications; BLM directives, select publications of BLM partners. Target publications primarily will be those created by BLM, submitted to BLM, or produced under contract to BLM but may include publications of the DOI, other DOI agencies, and other publishers as determined by BLM library staff.
- Manage electronic copies using file management best practices. May require developing workflow processes for file harvesting, naming conventions, and assigning metadata.
- Send select electronic publications, which meet criteria established by BLM library staff, to the library’s digitization vendor for inclusion in the library’s digitized collection and conversion to other file formats.
- May require working with BLM library staff on development and management of an institutional repository or other file management system.
- Assist BLM librarians with collection management.
- Performed in coordination with and in support of BLM reference librarian.
- Assist BLM librarians, as needed, with collection management including collection development.
- Tasks may include assessing the collection; suggesting actions to remove/replace outdated materials and fill gaps in subject coverage; and identifying other measures needed to ensure that the collection meets the needs of BLM scientists and managers.
- Remove outdated materials from ILS and OCLC.
- Assist with instructional training and outreach.
- Performed in coordination with and in support of BLM reference librarian.
- Instructional and/or promotional content promoting library services and collections and dissemination of them via library web pages, social media tools, emails, printed materials, and other media that BLM librarians will determine as appropriate will be created by the placement.
- The creation and presentation of trainings, demonstrations, webinars, and/or exhibits featuring library services and collections will be performed by the Librarian placement.
- Trainings and outreach may be done in person, online, in print format, or other means deemed necessary by BLM librarians.
- Archival tasks.
- Maintain appropriate archival standards for paper documents, photographs, negatives, audiotapes, videotapes, microfilm/fiche, maps, books, artifacts, and computer discs.
- Plan and prepare inventories and other finding aids, as well as other descriptive analysis of assigned archival records and create and maintain an associated database of these records.
- Develop annual and other short and long-term work plans in accordance with the objectives of the library.
- Participate in a conservation program in order to protect and maintain the holdings that includes monitoring environmental conditions in the archive area, inspecting records to determine the state of their preservation, making recommendations as to preservation techniques required, and planning and arranging for digitization of assigned records.
- Promote interest in and awareness of the historical material available for scholarly research in the holdings of the BLM Library.
- Historical photo database.
- The contractor librarians must provide support for digitization of library photographic materials and produce high-quality digital content for distribution via the web.
- Ensure all documents for scanning are of good quality. Scan documents in accordance with procedures and standards established by the library. Assist with metadata creation for digitized materials in accordance with the procedures established by the library. Upload scanned materials to content management system and designated storage location.
- Assist with project work to enhance and improve metadata within records, update documentation on digitization processes, maintain statistics for all work digitization imaging completed and metadata records created.
When submitting application please include answers to the below questionnaire
Do you have experience providing reference services?
Do you have experience managing library websites?
Do you have experience supporting digitization operations?
Do you have experience incorporating “born digital” items into the library’s collection?
Have you assisted with collection management?
Do you have experience performing archival tasks?
Do you have experience maintaining historical photo databases?
What led you to pursue librarianship?
Please describe what you enjoy about assisting patrons with their reference requests.
Describe a challenging reference interaction, how you handled it, and what the outcome was.
Please describe your experience managing digital collections, and what you did to optimize accessibility to the collection.
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
Hourly rate: $31.04/hr.
10 Paid Federal Holidays
Medical, Dental, Vision coverage after 60 days of employment
Additional Info & Requirements
You can apply through the link below
Action Staffing Solutions is a woman and family owned local staffing agency that supports clients in the private sector and public sector across the nation. Action Staffing Solutions was founded by Robin Fischer in 2008 after a successful career in the international staffing industry. The goal is to make a difference in someone’s life every day! The company continues to grow year after year achieving the Inc. 5000 List and the Mercury 100 List for one of the fastest growing privately held businesses. We strive for excellence and constant care for our clients, associates and internal employees. Action Staffing Solutions offers attractive benefits to all employees and supports many non-profit agencies within the community.
Our Mission Statement:
“Our mission is to offer “Quality and Service Driven Results.” We Pride ourselves on “Building Diversified Relationships Through Integrity, Ethics and Value to ALL of our clients and associates.”
- We are committed to creating solutions for our clients.
- Our Word is Our Bond.
- Constant Care-
- Human Capital is the most crucial investment of any organization. We partner with our clients to provide the right personnel to accomplish our client’s goals and objectives.
- We take great care to provide exceptional service through quality relationships with our clients, associates and employees.
- We operate responsibly with high ethical standards and accountability.
- We deal with fairness, decency and respect for others
- We believe teamwork is the key to success.
- We trust and empower our employees and build long-term relationships with our clients.
- We are flexible and create progressive solutions to the business needs of our clients.
- Our employees are empowered and have the knowledge, business skills and are responsive to our clients.
Human Resources / Job Listings
If you are interested in job opportunities with Action Staffing Solutions email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org