Job Title: Bilingual Library Assistant
Reports To: Librarian II
Department: Public Services
Location: Harmony Library
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Job Classification: Classified, Half-time (20 hours/week)
Benefits Eligibility: Classified Benefits Summary
Hiring Range: $19.76 - $24.71 per hour
Summary: Actively assists library customers with finding and using library resources, including the online catalog, public computers and variously-formatted materials, and provides readers’ advisory to customers. Plans and implements programs and provides programming support. Establishes and maintains resource displays. Embraces diversity and exhibits superior service to all library customers while performing all work duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Create a welcoming environment for all patrons and staff that fosters equity, diversity and inclusion by seeking to understand, respect and value individual differences.
- Provide responsive, courteous service to all customers, regardless of age, race, class, gender, appearance or ability.
- Routinely provides direct customer service in person, via telephone, and electronically.
- Provides customer assistance with computers and digital technologies including tablets, printers, mobile devices, scanners, projectors, and other variously-formatted materials.
- Provides readers’ advisory to customers.
- Provides accurate informational and directional assistance to customers.
- Frequently uses new technology in daily duties and to support patrons with new software, hardware and mobile devices.
- Creates, plans and implements story times, including bilingual and Spanish language story times, for young children.
- May plan and implement other public programs with assistance from volunteers and other District staff.
- Circulates the library floor regularly while performing other work duties in order to proactively assist customers.
- Actively participates in merchandising library’s collections.
- May assist with special projects and or programs both in and outside the library, including digital literacy instruction.
- Assists or may lead response to emergency situations including responding to customers in violation of the Library Behavior Rules.
- Performs all Person in Charge duties as needed.
- Performs collection maintenance duties including tidying and shelving.
- May participate in library teams, committees, and other project-based groups.
- May oversee and direct the work of volunteers.
- Other duties as assigned.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Ability to demonstrate excellent communication skills with a diverse population including effective speaking, listening and writing which is required in both English and Spanish.
- Knowledge and skills in adult, teen, and children’s literature and media preferred.
- Ability to use a variety of computer technologies and applications including internet, email, file management, collaboration software, and other digital applications.
- Ability to operate and perform basic troubleshooting of digital tools including PCs, tablets, keyboards, printers, and connecting cables.
- Ability to provide clear guidance and appropriate help to customers with technology-based questions and needs.
- Ability to demonstrate positive attitude, excellent interpersonal skills, cultural sensitivity and a sense of humor working with customers, coworkers and the community.
- Ability to creatively solve problems, negotiate and handle stressful situations in a positive manner.
- Experience working with children including knowledge of child development and ability to manage and engage children strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of current and classic books, authors and illustrators for a variety of ages preferred.
- Knowledge of general areas within the arts, sciences, literature, as well as periods of history and geography preferred.
- Ability to provide superior customer service.
- Ability to resolve customer complaints and handle emergency situations.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university is preferred. One-year library or related customer service experience plus technical knowledge and experience using downloadable materials preferred; or comparable combination of education and experience.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Fluency in English and Spanish is required.
Certificates and Licenses:
Valid driver’s license required.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed and/or required to:
- Work primarily in a library environment and sometimes in community settings.
- Regularly sit, stand, walk, use hands to handle or feel, lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, talk and hear.
- Regularly reach, lift and move arms above shoulder level.
- Occasionally bend, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl climb or balance.
- Occasionally lift and/or move materials weighing up to 30 pounds.
- Concentrate on and complete tasks in the presence of distractions.
- Regularly operate a variety of standard office equipment including a computer, laptop and/or tablet PC, telephone, e-reader, calculator, cash register, bar code reader, copy and fax machines.
- Continuous and repetitive arm, hand and eye movement.
- Moderate to loud noise levels.
- Travel to/from meetings and various locations.
- Attend online, virtual meetings.
- Work a varied schedule including weekdays, weekends and evenings.
Apply online only at https://poudrelibraries.org/jobs/
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
Benefits Eligibility: Classified Benefits Summary
Located in northern Colorado, Fort Collins is home to Colorado State University and an outstanding public school system.
Nestled at the base of the Rocky Mountains, Fort Collins offers exciting recreational opportunities, unique cultural offerings, and is a regional center for employment and shopping.
Throughout the year, live music and entertainment, as well as great local dining, can be found throughout the historic downtown area. Fort Collins offers the convenience of a small town with all the amenities of a larger city.
If you are seeking the Colorado lifestyle and a community in which you can reinvent and reinvigorate yourself then Fort Collins is your city.
For more information, please visit the City of Fort Collins website: http://www.fcgov.com/visitor/
External Job Ad
Human Resources / Job Listings
Apply online only. NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE.