Summary of Job Duties
Salary to commensurate with experience.
The hiring range for this position is $15.25- $19.07/hourly
This position offers a great Part-Time employee benefits package. The plan offers health, dental, vision insurance, sick, and annual leave.
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
The Library and Cultural Services Departments vision is to empower an environment of lifelong learning and cultural enrichment by stimulating learning and literacy, inspiring creativity, and integrating arts, culture and history into the lives of Aurorans. We have two divisions within the department: Library and Cultural Services, both offering a variety of free programs and services to the community. Please go to www.auroralibrary.org to learn more about the Aurora Public Library.
Library Services Summary
- 6 locations
- Books, CDs, DVDs, magazines
- Database and language learning programs
- Public computers
- Study space
- Printing, faxing and scanning services
- Community events and programs or activities for all ages
The individual in this position must provide the highest level of customer service assisting library customers with circulation services, account help, finding library resources and assisting with programs. Strong customer services skills, attention to detail, genuine interest in helping people from in a diverse community of all ages and a friendly demeanor are essential for success in this position.
Locations: Will work primarily at assigned location below hours may change based of business need. May be asked occasionally to substitute at another Aurora Library location based on staffing needs.
Tallyn's Reach (Aurora Public Library)
23911 E Arapahoe Rd, Aurora 80016, Colorado
Primary hours: Mondays 9-6, Fridays 2-6 pm & Saturdays 9-6. Hours are subject to change dependent upon department needs.
The City of Aurora will conduct ongoing screenings of applications on a first come-first serve basis; as soon as we determine to have a qualified pool of applicants, this position may close quickly and without notice.
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Circulation Focus (primary):
- Provides friendly and professional customer assistance for library service needs.
- Checks books/other items in and out through computerized system
- Answers general customer questions regarding library policy, procedures and customer accounts.
- Answers basic reference, reader's advisory and general customer questions
- Redirects more advanced reference questions to Reference staff as appropriate
- Operates a cash register, conducts customer payment transactions, maintains a cash drawer
- Performs data entry into library system, spreadsheet and other databases
- Sorts, processes, shelves and assists with other general library materials inventory management duties.
- Assists with research and programs as needed
- Proactively ensures that library space is neat and organized (e.g. furniture and equipment is in order, shelves are well organized, displays are creative and refreshed regularly)
- Provides friendly, efficient and professional service to customers in-person, by telephone and email
- Conducts general office/administrative/clerical tasks as needed.
- Performs additional duties as assigned.
A combination of relevant education and experience may be substituted for the minimum education and experience requirements on a year for year basis
Education: High School Diploma or GED
Experience: At least 6 months customer service and/or retail experience.
Experience within a library system preferred.
Knowledge: Customer service techniques, routine software/computer systems including the internet, email, word processing, spreadsheets, and inventory/customer transaction systems.
Abilities: Ability to deal with stressful situations with tact and diplomacy; communicate with diverse customers/staff of all ages in a professional, age and culturally, appropriate manner; use general office equipment, computers, calculators, and copy/fax machine; perform basic mathematical calculations; follow oral and written instructions; work shifts, including some nights, and weekends. Ability to speak Spanish a plus.
- When a local announcement of emergency or disaster is declared by the City, all City of Aurora employees may be required to work as essential personnel.
- Light to sedentary physical work requiring the ability to lift 40 pounds with or without assistance
- Frequent lifting, carrying, walking and standing
- Hand/eye coordination to operate computer keyboard
- Vision to read and interpret reports, documents and other written information
- Frequent speech communication and hearing to maintain communication with employees and citizens
- Works primarily in clean, comfortable environment with shared work stations and equipment
- Shift work to include days, nights, working weekends and occasional holidays. Must be willing to work at least one closing shift.
- Frequently uses computer keyboard and telephone, fax machines, copiers and microfilm equipment
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment
For Veterans preference: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.