The Division of Public Services supports the mission and vision of the Jefferson County Public Library (JCPL) by creating the essential destination where residents can find just the service, program or material delivered in the way that fits them just right. The Assistant Director of Public Services will be accountable for a consistent quality customer experience in core JCPL services on the phone, in person and digitally. Directs implementation of public service strategic initiatives and handles operational details that supports the implementation of the service and staffing model. Handles project work and decision-making above the level of manager. Directs access to resources, including the physical and digital resources of the system. Responsible for creating partnerships and relationships in the community through outreach. Has decision-making authority for operational initiatives in the area of public services. Position must comply with laws governing patron privacy and confidentiality under CRS24-90-119, and the Code of Ethics of the American Library Association, as well as ADA governing public access to space and technology.
- STRATEGIC PLANNING: Develops long-range strategies for core library services, provides strategic direction for public services staff, demonstrates and applies current knowledge of trends in libraries and related fields. Directs cross-functional teams to accomplish goals and objectives in their system-wide service. Evaluates inputs, outputs and outcomes of core services. Directs system-wide changes and evaluates input from community for developing and implementing system-services using established industry benchmarks. May use established industry benchmarks to determine gaps in service provision and quality. Directs input for and anticipates local and system needs.
- ORGANIZATIONAL DEVELOPMENT: Directs implementation of the Public Services division strategic initiatives. Handles operational details that support the implementation of the service and staffing models. Prepares and submits routine reports as necessary for JCPL management. Anticipates and solves problems as non-routine situations arise. Ensures adherence to established policies, procedures and standards. Collaborates and coordinates with others in cross-functional teams to accomplish JCPL, division goals and objectives. Communicates goals and strategic priorities to staff. Directs special assignments such as piloting new services. Manages short-term projects outside typical area of responsibility. Covers as acting manager or Person in Charge(PIC) for local, other locations and services on a temporary basis as needed.
- CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE: Communicates expectations to staff and colleagues about library services and trends. Models best behavior practice for customer service. Creates conditions for a quality customer experience in public services. Keeps abreast of and implements industry best practices in library services. Provides direct customer service particularly in non-routine situations. Directs input for anticipated local and system needs. May conduct outreach into the community by identifying potential groups and ensuring direct contact from the JCPL.
- FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY: Develops and monitors the budget to support the division. Provides input to annual plans and budgets and assists with system-wide initiatives. Ensures compliance with budget limits and established purchasing procedures with staff. Directs system resources with budgetary and decision-making authority over those resources. Accountable for system-wide budget expenditures in area of responsibility. Contributes to department evaluations and reports
- SUPERVISION & MANAGEMENT: Hires, assigns, trains, directs and supervises the public services managers as well as temporary staff, volunteers and interns in area of responsibility. Coaches on industry best practices. Administers or makes recommendations for routine personnel matters affecting direct reports including recruitment, orientation, training, setting performance goals, assigning and reviewing work, approving time card, approving leave, appraising and disciplining, submitting records and documentation as required by Library and Jefferson County Policy. Conducts regular staff meetings with subordinate staff. Communicates changes in policies and procedures to direct reports and implements them as directed. Provides technical guidance and support to ensure conformity with established policies, rules and regulations. Anticipates and solves problems as non-routine situations arise. Promotes professional development and leadership skills among direct reports and teams. Responsible for creating and implementing change management plans and strategies that maximum employee engagement and minimizes employee resistance. Provides leadership towards the Library's mission, vision and values. Serves as a member of JCPL’s Director’s Team and CMT (Combined Management Team). Collaborates and coordinates with others in cross-functional teams to accomplish JCPL goals and objectives as well as Division goals and objectives. Uses and continually develops leadership skills and participates in on-going professional development. Maintains skills, knowledge and subject matter expertise in areas of responsibility and industry trends through training and professional development. Attends conferences and participates in development activities.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Master's Degree in Library Science or Library Information Systems within 3 years of date of hire.
Supervision Experience, Work Experience: Minimum five years
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
Our mission at Jefferson County includes providing exceptional service to the members of our community, and we believe that we can empower our employees to provide that service by providing excellent benefits, including: generous paid time off in addition to paid holidays, flexible schedules to encourage work/life balance, wellness opportunities to encourage maintaining a healthy lifestyle, tuition reimbursement programs, trainings for personal and professional growth, retirement savings plans with company match, and Medical/Vision/Dental plans customizable to your budget for individuals and families.
Jefferson County Public Library is committed to providing an inclusive workplace. We seek individuals with the same passion and commitment to providing equal access to information and opportunities for our community. We value diversity and strive to incorporate our values: innovation, accountability and excellence in all our work and interactions.
Jefferson County Public Library will always be here to connect you to the people, ideas and inspiration for whatever's next in life. Define your destination, and we'll help you get there. So you can always be learning. Always be creating. And always be discovering something new.
We help to build an educated and vibrant community by providing equal access to information and opportunities.
We will be the essential destination where all generations connect, discover, and create.
We serve with care; everyone is welcome here. We meet you where you are, give you our full attention, and strive to exceed your expectations.
Our core values are Innovation, Accountability, and Excellence.