The City of Cedar Rapids is seeking a patron experience-oriented Librarian to become a part of the Programming Department at the Cedar Rapids Public Library. This person will engage with all ages of the community in a variety of settings both within the library buildings and at various outreach and offsite locations. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in Library programming along with a strong desire to make a positive change for the residents of the city.
About the Position:
This position will be an integral part of the Programming Department, creating, developing, and implementing programs that engage patrons and further the library’s strategic priorities. If you are passionate about the role the library can play in someone’s life, love working with all ages, and are excited about creating new opportunities, this position is for you.
Plans and presents library programs, initiatives and experiences, provides reference service and customer education, promotes library materials and services to patrons.
Tuesday- Friday 8:45am-5:15pm
Every third Saturday
Successful completion of a pre-employment background check, physical examination (if applicable) and drug screen are required prior to employment with the City of Cedar Rapids.
The City of Cedar Rapids does not offer sponsorship for employment authorization.
Examples of Duties / Knowledge & Skills
- Independently plans and presents library programs for patrons, community partner delivery and library staff
- Independently and collaboratively develops and deploys large-scale programming initiatives. (Indie Author’s Day, Community Cultural Expo, Teen Camps, Outreach – DPIL, Teen, Seniors, New Adults)
- Researches and recommends current and best practices in community programming
- Serves as a subject matter expert in developing a cohesive schedule of complimentary programming across ages and skill levels
- Updates and monitors program registration and marketing
- Represents the Library at schools, community events, and off-site or outreach events
- Greets patrons and provides proactive assistance
- Provides advanced personalized advisory services to patrons
- Assists patrons with library account maintenance (check out, placing holds, fines)
- Helps patrons with advanced reference and tech assistance
- Promotes library services, programs and offerings
- Provides handoff for supervisory or management support as needed
- Takes initiative in educating library staff on services and technology through both informal on-the-job training and scheduled refreshers
- Provides leadership and support to other staff
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
The City provides outstanding pay, benefits and paid time off. With participation in the Wellness Program, the Choice Family PPO plan cost is only $63.88 per month for 2022! Additionally we offer:
- Medical co-insurance for participating providers of 90% plan / 10% employee
- Competitive pay
- Iowa Public Employee’s Retirement Pension plans (IPERS) (Download PDF reader) with a 9.44% City contribution and 6.29% employee contribution
- 457 deferred compensation employer match program (City will match up to 0.05% of your annual income each calendar year—learn more here.)
- Flexible Spending (Health Care and Dependent Care Accounts- learn more here)
- An average of 11 paid holidays per year
- Up to $3,000 per year in educational assistance
- 4 weeks of paid parental leave
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness – (The PSLF program forgives the remaining balance on your Direct Loans after you have made 120 qualifying monthly payments while working full-time for a qualifying employer. See more info here.)
- Annual pay increases
- Typically receive annual cost of living increase depending on budget
- 100% City paid basic life insurance
- Dental, vision, long-term disability, and supplemental life insurance
- View our Bargaining Benefits Summaries (Download PDF reader)
- Expansive job growth opportunities
- Commitment to professional development
- Private health & wellness coaching partnerships
Additional Info & Requirements
Acceptable Experience and Training:
- Graduation from an American Library Association program with a Master’s Degree in Library Sciences; and;
- Six months to two year of similar or related experience –or-
- Six months to two years of customer service experience.
- Proficiency with a second Non-English language, preferred.
Required Special Qualifications:
- Mental Health First Aid Certification, required or ability to gain in the first six months.
- Valid Iowa Driver’s License, required
City of Cedar Rapids - Human Resources
101 First Street SE, Cedar Rapids, IA 52401