Middle Georgia Regional Library invites you to apply for the position of Reference Librarian. The Reference Librarian is a vital team member in fulfilling the Library’s mission “to connect all people to the information necessary to improve their lives through excellent services and materials.”
Our work culture:
Middle Georgia Regional Library fosters a collaborative culture where teamwork is necessary to make a difference. Our staff is the engine that drives our award-winning facilities, innovative programming, and extensive collections.
Diverse backgrounds, identities, and experiences bring unique strengths and perspectives to our team. We embrace each member’s unique identity to ensure our service reflects our diverse community.
Staff at MGRL enjoy a generous benefits package which includes 20 days of vacation leave, 10 days of sick leave, 11 paid holidays, membership in the Teachers Retirement System of Georgia, and medical insurance through the State Health Benefit Plan.
Under the general supervision of the Head of Reference, the Reference Librarian provides general and specialized reference assistance to public library patrons. This position is expected to have knowledge of the library collection, resources (both electronic and print), library policies, and procedures.
This position is housed at the reference desk of Washington Memorial Library, and the workload will vary daily. In addition to typical reference duties, the Reference Librarian will support the Business and Nonprofit Center (BANC) through hosting classes and providing one-on-one training.
The Reference Librarian will work to provide businesses and nonprofits in the Middle Georgia area with the resources, services, and programs necessary to ensure they have the information necessary to be successful and competitive.
This position will contribute to collection development, programming, compiling user guides, collection of statistics, and positive overall user experience.
The successful candidate will have experience and/or knowledge of a variety of library services and activities. The position requires a high degree of flexibility to produce services that are relevant and accessible to each segment of the population that we serve. They will build community relationships and contribute to community goals.
This position will enjoy significant support to attain these goals at Middle Georgia Regional Library with an enthusiastic and committed staff of professionals, management, and paraprofessionals.
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Helps catalog and classify reference materials
- Assists in reference collection development, including planning and promoting electronic information resources and services.
- Compiles bibliographies and develops library user guides, both printed and electronic.
- Helps organize and maintain reference materials.
- Assembles and arranges displays of books and other library materials.
- Provides instruction and actively participates in the development and design of classes on computer skills.
- Provides instruction and actively participates in the development and design of classes on use of the library and its resources.
- Answers queries on complicated reference subjects, including formulating and processing online search requests.
- Describes or demonstrates procedures for navigating the public access catalog and electronic resources.
- Explains and assists in use of reference resources, such as book and periodical indexes, to locate information.
- Furnishes information on library activities, facilities, rules, and services.
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
- State Health Benefit Plan
- Teachers Retirement System of Georgia defined benefit retirement plan (401A) - 6% employee contribution, 19.81% (increasing to 19.98% on July 1, 2022) employer contribution
- Macon-Bibb County life insurance
- 11 paid holidays per year
- Sick Leave (10 days per year)
- Vacation (accrual starting at 20 days per year)
Additional Info & Requirements
Middle Georgia Regional Library serves seven counties through 19 locations across central Georgia.
Our Vision for Middle Georgia is a literate, engaged, and enlightened community.
The mission of Middle Georgia Regional Library is to connect all people to the information necessary to improve their lives through excellent services and materials.
- Every user leaves with a good impression
- Highly skilled library personnel
- Good stewardship of taxpayer resources
- Convenient and equal access for all
Middle Georgia Regional Library is anchored in Macon, Georgia. Macon is a vibrant community that values education, lifelong-learning, and is highly invested in library service. The community has a rich history, incredible architecture, stunning southern charm, and a soulful musical heritage. The city is home to 5 colleges and universities, 6 museums, sports teams, Ocmulgee National Monument, and numerous parks and festivals. Macon has all of the benefits of a large city with a small town cost of living.
Human Resources / Job Listings